PDA

View Full Version : Wow on the new Search Tool

NumberMan™
08-30-2007, 05:57 AM
How on Earth did you pull that one off lol. Was it time consuming to get all that data together for the search?

Very impressive - How are you calculating verses btw - how does it know where to break and start again or is that just the sum of an entire verse with no breaks.

If only I were a scripter :yo:

Richard Amiel McGough
08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
How on Earth did you pull that one off lol. Was it time consuming to get all that data together for the search?

Very impressive - How are you calculating verses btw - how does it know where to break and start again or is that just the sum of an entire verse with no breaks.

If only I were a scripter :yo:
Hey there NumberMan,

Yes, the project took a lot of work (almost three solid weeks), but it wasn't really too hard. I just had to transfer the Bible texts into a SQL Database, and write the code that retrieves the data. The text is parsed and the numerical values are calculated in the DB and then all the data is returned to the web page that requested it.

If you click on the checkbox at the top of the "Original Language" table, you will see that you can toggle all the other checkboxes. Then you can check as many as you want, and the total of the checked boxes will be displayed at the top. This function is written in Javascript and doesn't require any further interaction with the database (it runs locally on your computer).

The breaks between words are spaces, so they are easy to find using code. We don't have to worry about breaks between verses, because each verse is stored in its own record in the db.

Richard

shalag
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks Richard - -for making this - -uhh- - uhh - - perfectly clear!!! :eek::confused2:

Richard Amiel McGough
08-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Richard - -for making this - -uhh- - uhh - - perfectly clear!!! :eek::confused2:
1 Corinthians 12:4,8-9 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. ... 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; ...

... and to the geeky few, the gift of computer programming, by the same Spirit! :lol:

NumberMan™
08-31-2007, 05:27 AM
I was at one time looking to find the entire bible in Unicode format to do essentially the same thing (using a code person), but could never find anyone selling the format etc...

I would think the largest amount of time is having all those words converted in a format that is searchable.

Most impressive :thumb:

Richard Amiel McGough
08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
I was at one time looking to find the entire bible in Unicode format to do essentially the same thing (using a code person), but could never find anyone selling the format etc...

I would think the largest amount of time is having all those words converted in a format that is searchable.

Most impressive :thumb:
Ha! I didn't have to do that myself ... if I did, I'd still be doing it! And then I'd spend a year proof reading and fixing typos.

What I did was start with the Bible in electronic text files. Then I wrote a little program that could read the text files, and automatically parse them, and put them in the database. Then I wrote SQL stored procedures that query the db for whatever we are looking for. The db is designed to search all the text, and return the requested results, so I didn't have to do that either.

Also, I didn't store the Bible in unicode. I stored the ascii characters that represent the Greek and Hebrew in the db and wrote a program that converts them into the corresponding unicode characters when the data is returned to the web page.

As for finding the Bible in unicode - there are lots of places on the web. Here's some Greek NT texts you can start with: http://users.mstar2.net/broman/editions.html

Richard