PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the Word "Draw"

gregoryfl
07-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Here are all the verses that contain the word "draw."

Joh 18:10 Simon Peter, then, having a sword, draws it, and hits the chief priest's slave and strikes off his right ear. Now the name of the slave was Malchus."

Joh 21:6 Now He said to them, "Cast the net on the right parts of the ship and you will be finding.They cast, then, and they no longer were strong enough to draw it, for the multitude of fishes."

Joh 21:11 Simon Peter, then, went up and draws the net to the land, distended with a hundred and fifty-three large fishes. And, being so many, the net is not rent."

Act 16:19 Now her masters, perceiving that the expectation of their income was come out, getting hold of Paul and Silas, draw them into the market to the magistrates,

Act 21:30 Besides, stirred was the whole city, and there came to be a running together of the people. And getting hold of Paul, they drew him outside of the sanctuary, and immediately the doors are locked."

Jas 2:6 Yet you dishonor the poor one. Are not the rich tyrannizing over you? And they are drawing you to tribunals.

Now, before we look at the final 2 verses, ask yourself this question: In what sense is the sword, the net, and the people being drawn? I think everyone would answer the same way. And yet, BECAUSE OF RELIGIOUS THINKING, when we come to these final 2 verses, somehow the meaning changes to be the opposite of what is consistent with each and every other usage of the word.

Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me if ever the Father Who sends Me should not be drawing him. And I shall be raising him in the last day.

Joh 12:32 And I, if I should be exalted out of the earth, shall be drawing all to Myself."

The truth is, the Father draws people, and the Son draw people, in the exact same way as you read in the other verses.

Ron

gregoryfl
07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey gregoryfl,

You may think you are making a strong point, but you are failing to realize that when it comes to the Father and Son drawing, there is this little thing called "free will."

I am sure that if you look up the word again, you will see that there are instances where it means "to attract" such as you find in Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament.

Let me know what you find.

Ron