PDA

View Full Version : there ought to be a law

alec cotton
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I proclaim that every man must obey the law of God . No man can live in the kingdom of God and not live according to the laws of God . There is so much confusion in the world of Christianity that it is hard to hear the sound of logic over the din. When asked the simple question ' what must I do to inherit eternal life' Jesus answered ,'Keep the law'. There are many who suggest that Jesus moved the goal posts and made poverty a condition of entry. In fact Jesus was saying ' If you want a bonus , sell all your earthly treasures and give to the poor and you will will be rewarded with treasures in heaven' Reward is for works . Redemption is for free. What then is demanded of the one who would attain the kingdom of God . That is , the everlasting Kingdom? . 'For if the trumpet gives forth an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself for battle'.So many preachers call for repentance . Repentance for what.?-- For sin . What is sin ? What is righteousness?. One man would have a glass of wine and think it was right . Another would think it a sin. When Jesus said 'follow me ', He meant be my student , learn from me. He then taught them the law and how to keep it , according to the spirit of the law and not the tradition. Right away I hear someone roar 'we are not under law now. ' The question then must arise; 'am I at liberty then to despise my father and mother?.'It is easy enough to be good when temptation is far removed. It is easy enough for the presidents children to honour their parents. But take the case of Fred and Rose West. They were convicted of abducting children off the streets ,raping and murdering them .Now it is demanded of their children that they honour their father and mother. You must not covet means that you must never be jealous . I rarely hear that condemned as sin .Should we keep the passover?. Jesus said in effect 'as often as you eat this passover ,do it in remembrance of me. To me , eating a dry cracker and taking a sip of coloured water is a parody. What about the other feasts:Pentecost ,trumpets ,tents. The answer might be , Well they were all done away with at Calvary. Why are we breaking bread then?. Jesus was teaching the people to live by the Torah. He said 'If any man breaks the least of these commandments and teaches men so , He will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven and if any man keeps these commandments he will be called great in the kingdom of God. Where do we stand . What do we do. How do we dissipate the fog?
Alec

Rose
05-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I proclaim that every man must obey the law of God . No man can live in the kingdom of God and not live according to the laws of God . There is so much confusion in the world of Christianity that it is hard to hear the sound of logic over the din. When asked the simple question ' what must I do to inherit eternal life' Jesus answered ,'Keep the law'. There are many who suggest that Jesus moved the goal posts and made poverty a condition of entry. In fact Jesus was saying ' If you want a bonus , sell all your earthly treasures and give to the poor and you will will be rewarded with treasures in heaven' Reward is for works . Redemption is for free. What then is demanded of the one who would attain the kingdom of God . That is , the everlasting Kingdom? . 'For if the trumpet gives forth an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself for battle'.So many preachers call for repentance . Repentance for what.?-- For sin . What is sin ? What is righteousness?. One man would have a glass of wine and think it was right . Another would think it a sin. When Jesus said 'follow me ', He meant be my student , learn from me. He then taught them the law and how to keep it , according to the spirit of the law and not the tradition. Right away I hear someone roar 'we are not under law now. ' The question then must arise; 'am I at liberty then to despise my father and mother?.'It is easy enough to be good when temptation is far removed. It is easy enough for the presidents children to honour their parents. But take the case of Fred and Rose West. They were convicted of abducting children off the streets ,raping and murdering them .Now it is demanded of their children that they honour their father and mother. You must not covet means that you must never be jealous . I rarely hear that condemned as sin .Should we keep the passover?. Jesus said in effect 'as often as you eat this passover ,do it in remembrance of me. To me , eating a dry cracker and taking a sip of coloured water is a parody. What about the other feasts:Pentecost ,trumpets ,tents. The answer might be , Well they were all done away with at Calvary. Why are we breaking bread then?. Jesus was teaching the people to live by the Torah. He said 'If any man breaks the least of these commandments and teaches men so , He will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven and if any man keeps these commandments he will be called great in the kingdom of God. Where do we stand . What do we do. How do we dissipate the fog?
Alec

Hi Alec,

You have brought up some excellent points and questions! My only answer would be that each man must follow his God given conscience. We all have one...though some folks have theirs seared so badly, or buried so deep that there seems little hope of ever recovering it. Our conscience is the only hope we have of ever finding truth...it is what tells us right from wrong, truth from lies....it is what leads us to God.

Be true to your heart....

Rose

joel
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
..............proclaim that every man must obey the law of God

The law of God,...to my flesh seems so harsh,
so unforgiving....so forceful.....

I think I can do it.....I know I can.

I only want to please Him........and do what He says, the most humble of man.

But I cannot.....I fall each time.....I fail to climb....the mountain in front of me.

And I cannot command it to go away......and be no more an impediment to my faith. Oh Mountain......will you not flee into the sea, as He commanded me???

Then I looked again.....at the mountain in front of me.......standing aloof, against His word....
and then I saw you.....Oh God.....Oh Lord.....you are the mountain.....and the sword.

I am your humble servant.......you are my Lord.

And now I see........your law is not a list of rules......for the foolish.....and for fools...

It is my provision for life.....the vital element of rules,

it is the feed which you give as Master, my shepherd.....I am your wife.....

teach me, train me to obey your law.....Your law......Your life.

Joel

Clifford
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Alec

Hi Alec,

When asked the simple question ' what must I do to inherit eternal life' Jesus answered ,'Keep the law'

Where is that in the Bible? In the Gospels, especially John, it says over and over that if you believe on the name of God's Son you have passed from death to life, not by keeping the law.

John 6:28-29 They replied, 'We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?'

29 Jesus told them, 'This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.'

1John 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God.

I don't see anything in there about keeping the Law to inherit eternal life. That would go against all the NT where it states over and over our righteousness is by faith not by keeping the Law.

I think you are believing the same error the church at Galatia fell into and Paul had to correct.

Gal 3:10-12 But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, 'Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.' 11 So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, 'It is through faith that a righteous person has life.' 12 This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, 'It is through obeying the law that a person has life.'

When we become a new creation in Christ by grace through faith His laws are written in our hearts and minds(Heb 10:16 quoting from Jeremiah) and it is our desire to obey His laws, but obeying His laws has nothing to do with receiving eternal life. If it did we would all be doomed.

God bless,

Clifford

alec cotton
06-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Sorry but your reply assumes (wrongly) that I said that we must keep the whole law to be justified when it is obvious that I said nothing like it . I have said many times before that reward is for works and justification is by faith . I insist that after justification that we must do that which is right. It is useless to say "I have faith in Christ" and then refuse to live by his laws. After conversion man believes unto righteousness . What is wrong?. What is right? What is good ,what is bad?. None of these questions can be answered withot law. The law was the teacher that brought me to christ .If we sin wilfully then there is no more sacrifice for sin. If the law is redundant , confusion reigns .
Alec