PDA

View Full Version : Liberalism and atheism linked to IQ

Richard Amiel McGough
02-27-2010, 11:35 AM
CNN has this report (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liberals.atheists.sex.intelligence/index.html?hpt=C2):

(CNN) -- Political, religious and sexual behaviors may be reflections of intelligence, a new study finds.

Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.

The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say. But they show how certain patterns of identifying with particular ideologies develop, and how some people's behaviors come to be

Personally, I can see a number reasons for this correlation. Christianity has been completely distorted and dumbed-down so that it is very difficult for intelligent people to believe it. A few of the problems:

Young Earth Creationism
False Futurist speculations like those of Hal Lindsey and Left Behind series.
Absurd Literalistic Fundamentalism that is an offense to any mind enlightened by the God of Truth.
The Doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment which presents God as the Devil.
Denominational divisions and endless controversy about what the Bible actually teaches so that it all looks like a mass of confusion to any intelligent person looking in from the outside.

And there are many other issues ... too many to list right now.

So is there any hope? If so, what should we do to help bring forth that hope?

Richard

CWH
02-27-2010, 03:58 PM
CNN has this report (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liberals.atheists.sex.intelligence/index.html?hpt=C2):

Personally, I can see a number reasons for this correlation. Christianity has been completely distorted and dumbed-down so that it is very difficult for intelligent people to believe it. A few of the problems:

Young Earth Creationism
False Futurist speculations like those of Hal Lindsey and Left Behind series.
Absurd Literalistic Fundamentalism that is an offense to any mind enlightened by the God of Truth.
The Doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment which presents God as the Devil.
Denominational divisions and endless controversy about what the Bible actually teaches so that it all looks like a mass of confusion to any intelligent person looking in from the outside.

And there are many other issues ... too many to list right now.

So is there any hope? If so, what should we do to help bring forth that hope?

Richard

Hi RAM,

That CNN report is an insult to our intelligence. I am sure there are many intelligent people here in this forum.

What I feel is that the design of the IQ test is skewed towards the atheist and liberals and that results in their favor. How about designing an IQ test based based solely on Christianity topics? I can guarantee you the atheists and liberals will fail miserably. It's like sending a professor from Harvard to to the Amazon jungle to compete with an experienced tribesman on using blowpipes.

I agree with all the problems that you have listed except for item 2: "False Futurist speculations like those of Hal Lindsey and Left Behind series"; would it have made a difference if Preterist's doctrine such as AD 70 were used instead?

Many Blessings.

Richard Amiel McGough
02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi RAM,

That CNN report is an insult to our intelligence. I am sure there are many intelligent people here in this forum.

Amen to the second sentence! I am thrilled at the level of intelligence of folks who come here. Also, we must remember that the conclusion was based on statistics. It says nothing about the intelligence of any individual Christian or atheist. There are brilliant examples in both groups, just as their are some real dummies in both.

And most important - it may be that the statistics are skewed a little because more "simple minded" folks are not confronted with the "reasons" challenging their childlike faith. It would be interesting to see the detailed stats.

What I feel is that the design of the IQ test is skewed towards the atheist and liberals and that results in their favor. How about designing an IQ test based based solely on Christianity topics? I can guarantee you the atheists and liberals will fail miserably. It's like sending a professor from Harvard to to the Amazon jungle to compete with an experienced tribesman on using blowpipes.

Excellent point Cheow. Bias of the researchers is one of the most important things to look out for. But I don't think that applies in this case. IQ tests are designed to measure general language skills, pattern recognition, ability to solve logical problems, and things like that. They are very careful to avoid questions that depend on culture or prior knowledge like "What is the capital of Denmark?" So it seems pretty unlikely that the IQ tests were designed with a bias against Christians.

I agree with all the problems that you have listed except for item 2: "False Futurist speculations like those of Hal Lindsey and Left Behind series"; would it have made a difference if Preterist's doctrine such as AD 70 were used instead?

Many Blessings.
Yes, I think it would make all the difference in the world if the Preterist understanding were common knowledge. The reason is simple. A plain reading of the Bible indicates that Jesus and His Apostles expected His coming to happen in the first century. This is common knowledge amongst everyone familiar with what the Bible actually states. Even C. S. Lewis admitted this, and his integrity forced him to conclude that Jesus was wrong because he did not understand the Preterist view. Likewise, almost all atheists use this "failed prediction" as one of their primary reasons for rejecting the truth of the Bible. Thus, the denial of the Preterist view is a denial of what the Bible really teaches, and this leads people to reject the Bible as false. This is particularly egregious because the Preterist understanding is the greatest single proof of the divine inspiration of Scripture, as explained in this article written in 1805:
THE DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM

An Absolute and Irresistible

PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF CHRISTIANITY

Including a narrative of the calamities which befel the Jews
so far as they tend to verify our Lord's predictions relative to that event.

By George Peter Holford
(Written in 1805)

"I consider the Prophecy relative to the destruction of the Jewish nation, if there were nothing else to support Christianity, as absolutely irresistible." --Mr. Erskine's Speech, at the Trial of Williams, for publishing Paine's Age of Reason

PREFACE
History records few events more generally interesting than the destruction of Jerusalem, and the subversion of the Jewish state, by the arms of the Romans. -- Their intimate connexion with the dissolution of the Levitical economy, and the establishment of Christianity in the world; the striking verification which they afford of so many of the prophecies, both of the Old and New Testament, and the powerful arguments of the divine authority of the Scriptures which are thence derived; the solemn warnings and admonitions which they hold out to all nations, but especially such as are favoured with the light and blessings of REVELATION; together with the impressive and terrific grandeur of the events themselves--are circumstances which must always insure to the subject of the following pages more than ordinary degrees of interest and importance. Many eminent and learned men have employed their pens in the illustration of it; but the fruits of their labours are, for the most part, contained in large and expensive works, out of the reach of numbers, to whom the discussion might prove equally interesting and improving. For the use and gratification of such, the present Treatise, in a more accessible and familiar form, is diffidently offered to the public. In order that it might be better adapted for the general reader, critical inquiries and tedious details are equally avoided; but it has been the care of the writer not to omit any important fact or argument that, in his opinion, tended to elucidate the subject. Countenanced by the example of many respectable names, he has ventured to introduce the extraordinary prodigies, which, according to Josephus, preceded the destruction of the Holy City. He has also added a few sentences in their defense, but he does not intend thereby to express his unqualified admission of their genuineness.