PDA

View Full Version : Body Soul and Spirit

CWH
01-03-2010, 08:01 AM
I would like know your views on Body Soul and Spirit. It is said that man is composed of these 3 component, a triune. I used to think and still think that the soul and sprit are the same thing. I find these quite profound. I could understand the Body perfectly but not soul and spirit. A check on the internet provides only some insights and more confusion:

"Each man and woman born into this world is a being made of three (3) distinct components:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(1 Thessalonians 5:23 KJV)

1: The BODY. This is your PHYSICAL component of being. It is flesh made from a collection of unremarkable mineral elements (but is mostly water) and is in harmony with the nature and spirit of this world. It grows, matures, begins to deteriorate, eventually dies, and then decomposes back into its constituent elements and remains a part of the dust of the world. The body is a part of you but is NOT ALL of what defines who YOU are.

"And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,"
(Proverbs 5:11 KJV)

2: The SOUL. This is who YOU are; it is a part of your SPIRITUAL component. This is your individuality, your "I AM" so to speak, your "heart." Although your individual soul did not exist before your mother and father procreated you, it will exist forever. It cannot be killed by man:

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
(Matt. 10:28 KJV)

When your body dies your soul (YOU) will leave the body of flesh:

"And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin."
(Genesis 35:18 KJV)

3: The SPIRIT. This is the source of power and control for both your body and soul; it is either evil or good, darkness or light, unholy or Holy, unclean or clean, of Satan or of God:

"But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of."
(Luke 9:55 KJV)

Where your soul spends eternity after it departs is determined by your personal relationship to God (saved or unsaved). You are an eternal being. You determine your own destiny. In fact, the Bible says that you are a "god" (small "g"):

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"
(John 10:34 KJV)

"So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
(Gen 1:27 KJV)

(see also Isaiah 41:23 and Psalms 82:6)"

Can anyone enlighten me?

Many Blessings.

gregoryfl
01-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I do not believe in the Greek notion of man being 3 parts, although I used to. When the bible uses those 3 terms together, the reader would not take them to mean man is made up of 3 parts, but simply speaking of the whole of man. Similarly, when Jesus said to love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength, they would not have taken it to mean man is made up of those 4 parts. Again, it is a way of speaking of the whole of man.

What I understand is this:

As far as man goes, has has a body. This was formed from the dust of the ground by God. In itself, it is a lifeless corpse, a shell or vessel.

God formed within man his spirit, that part of man which is of God. He did this by breathing the breath of life into his nostrils. This is what gives the body life and keeps it alive.

For man, the combination of the body and spirit makes one a soul, specifically, a living soul. Man is a soul. It speaks of the entire man as either living, or dead. It also speaks of what man thinks and feels. Since the spirit is life, it too feels and expresses emotion, which is why they are so similarly spoken of.

God, is spirit. Yet, when speaking of himself, he too speaks concerning his soul, which, in his case, is speaking of the whole of God, as spirit. He is not a soul, but has one, wherein man both is a soul, and has one. The difference is in man's having a physical body. God, who's soul is spirit, is life. Man, who's soul is body and spirit, has life.

Ron

CWH
01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks Ron,

I tend to believe some of the things you have said. I believe there is only Body and spirit. The soul is probably just a small component of the spirit and thus can also mean the spirit. Therefore, soul and spirit is interchangeable.

I was just thinking, when a person dies, his body is left on earth and turn to dust and the spirit went to heaven, what happened to the soul? Unless the soul is a component of the spirit and is attach to it, thus if the spirit went to heaven, the soul goes along with the spirit.

Many Blessings.

gregoryfl
01-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Like you said, there is only body and spirit that makes up man. The soul is speaking of that combination in total, not something separate in or as a part of man. Like you said, the soul and spirit are very closely related. I know the spirit goes back to God, like you said, because it came from him. The body goes back to the ground. I believe that the soul then ceases to exist, for the body and spirit are separated. When God made man, nowhere do we read that any soul entered into man or joined to him. Scripture says man BECAME a soul, which to me means the soul came into existence.

Ron

CWH
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Like you said, there is only body and spirit that makes up man. The soul is speaking of that combination in total, not something separate in or as a part of man. Like you said, the soul and spirit are very closely related. I know the spirit goes back to God, like you said, because it came from him. The body goes back to the ground. I believe that the soul then ceases to exist, for the body and spirit are separated. When God made man, nowhere do we read that any soul entered into man or joined to him. Scripture says man BECAME a soul, which to me means the soul came into existence.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

But the souls do goes back to heaven(Revelation 6:9, 20:4), soul have emotions and desires, soul is associated with the body (matthew 10:28, "the body is of no avail"), soul can also be destroyed and die:

Job 33:28
He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light.'

Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

1 Peter 2:11
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

Revelation 6:9
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.

Revelation 20:4
I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Of interest is Revelation 20:4 which says that the soul came back to life i.e. becomes a living thing with body and spirit suggesting as you said in your previous post,:
"God formed within man his spirit, that part of man which is of God. He did this by breathing the breath of life into his nostrils. This is what gives the body life and keeps it alive......Man, who's soul is body and spirit, has life".

Many Blessings to you

joel
01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Cheow and Ron,

This is a discussion that may have an on-going component lasting throughout the ages.....ever since the garden.

We all agree that the body of man comes from the earth.......it is earthy. It comes from the soil, so we could also say that is soilish......even though that is ackward.

In the Greek, body is "soma". It is the vessel, Paul referred to it as a vessel of "clay". It is mostly referring to the individual body of each human.

When expressed in a larger sense, it is large group of individuals functioning as a "body" with members, just as the human body has many members and parts, each performing specific tasks within the body.

The spirit, in the Greek, is "pneuma" and is associated with breath, moving air, wind. As Ron said.......God breathed into the earth form conveying "life".

When spirit united with soil, Adam was said to become a living soul. This is yet a third word in Greek, "psuche". The expressive, conscious, aware, awake person is body united with spirit, a living soul.

If you were to do a word search on each of these three words, there may come forth a clarity to a very cloudy situation.

Upon death, we know from Genesis that the body returns to the soil.

Jesus, on the cross, commended His spirit to God, a return to the heavenly realm.

So, if the body is in the soil, and the spirit returns to
God, Who is spirit, where does the soul go?

That question should be carefully considered.

I suggest going into the Hebrew and examining those scriptures which discuss "nephesh", the Hebrew word for soul. We may find some clarity there.

Joel

gregoryfl
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Very good idea Joel.

Another interesting usage of the word nephesh is here:

Lev 17:11 for the soul of the flesh, it is in the blood.

This helps us get a more well-informed idea as to what the soul is. It is a scientific fact that blood carries oxygen throughout the body, a necessary thing, else the body would die. It is not the blood itself, but its function, that is in view here. Notice that the soul is not called blood, but rather, that it is IN the blood. The writer, under inspiration, is speaking about the breath from God that sustains all life, known as oxygen, being found in the blood. Thus we see a more concrete meaning of the word nephesh. When he is a living nephesh, he is a living breather of oxygen. When he is a dead nephesh, he is no longer breathing oxygen. When the nephesh leaves a man, his life is leaving him, just as when a man stops breathing, oxygen slowly leaves the blood, thus enacting the process of death. Until that is complete, there is the possibility of resuscitated through CPR. This is because the oxygen is still in the blood, but only for a short time, since it must be maintained and replenished by the act of breathing.

Ron

basilfo
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Good subject Cheow. Since this isn't complicated enough......:eek:, I would be interested in all your thoughts on Paul's description of "with what body do they come?" ....."It is a spiritual body."

CWH
01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Good subject Cheow. Since this isn't complicated enough......:eek:, I would be interested in all your thoughts on Paul's description of "with what body do they come?" ....."It is a spiritual body."

Hi Dave,

The natural versus the spiritual bodies again right?.....I have already answered.

http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258&page=3

Many Blessings.

gregoryfl
01-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Job 4:9 By the breath of Eloah are they perishing, And by the spirit of His nostrils are they being finished.

Here is another piece of the puzzle that helps us understand what man is. This breath [neshamah] is also called the spirit [ruach] of his nostrils. We know this because this verse is a hebrew parallelism, where you have the same thing being repeated in two different ways:

1. By the breath of Eloah are they perishing

2. by the spirit of his nostrils are they being finished.

Here breath and spirit are synonymous, as well as perishing and being finished.

Now, here is the kicker. This neshamah is what makes man different from the animals. It was this neshamah that God breathed into man that made him who he was. This neshamah is the same as the spirit, which we have established returns to God upon death. It is man's mind, and the neshamah gives it life. Without it man is but a beast.

This neshamah is the spirit of the mind, spoken of in the new testament, that which gives man his mind, different from the beasts of the earth. That essence of who man is goes back to God, but needs a body in order to exist in the state which God gave it.

We can also see this idea of the neshamah, man's spirit, being understood as man's mind, in Job 32:8:

Job 32:8 But surely it is the spirit in a mortal, And the breath of Him Who Suffices that gives them understanding.

This again is another hebrew parallelism, where the spirit in man, and breath of God, are the same thing. And what does it give man? Understanding, a faculty of the mind which animals do not have.

Psa 146:4 His spirit departs, and he returns to the earth. In that very day, his reflections perish.

This is why man's reflections perish when his spirit departs, for without the spirit, man does not have the faculties of thought.

Ron

gregoryfl
01-05-2010, 12:54 AM
So what I see is the following:

spirit [ruach] and body [basar]=animal life.

spirit [ruach], body [basar], and that which makes up or animates the mind, or inner man [neshamah]=man

I do not claim to have this all nailed down, and am still researching, but this does make sense to me, at least right now. :)

Some might point out Gen 7:22, saying that animals here are said to have neshamah. I do not believe that is the case, and here is why:

Gen 7:21 All flesh died that moved on the earth, including birds, livestock, animals, every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man.

Here man AND beast are specifically mentioned as dying.

Gen 7:22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, of all that was on the dry land, died.

As a separate thought, here ONLY man is mentioned as dying. No mention of beasts here, for man was the understood subject here.

Gen 7:23 Every living thing was destroyed that was on the surface of the ground, including man, livestock, creeping things, and birds of the sky. They were destroyed from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those who were with him in the ship.

Then again, as a separate thought, man AND beast are specifically mentioned as being destroyed.

Ron

gregoryfl
01-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Here again is another usage, adding to the understanding of man's neshamah.

Pro 20:27 The spirit of man is Yahweh's lamp, searching all his innermost parts.

The neshamah [spirit] is God's lamp, something inside which searches out to know the inner man. This is akin to Paul's statement:

1Co 2:10 But to us, God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
1Co 2:11 For who among men knows the things of a man, except the spirit of the man, which is in him? Even so, no one knows the things of God, except God's Spirit.

Just as God's spirit searches the deep things of God, his innermost parts, so does man's spirit do the same. Notice again the similarity between neshamah, and ruach (although the Greek equivalent is used, pneuma) There is no hebrew word for mind. I believe the evidence points to the closest equivalent as being man's neshamah.

Ron

gregoryfl
01-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks Ron,

But the souls do goes back to heaven(Revelation 6:9, 20:4), soul have emotions and desires, soul is associated with the body (matthew 10:28, "the body is of no avail"), soul can also be destroyed and die:

Job 33:28
He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light.'

Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

1 Peter 2:11
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

Revelation 6:9
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.

Revelation 20:4
I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Of interest is Revelation 20:4 which says that the soul came back to life i.e. becomes a living thing with body and spirit suggesting as you said in your previous post,:
"God formed within man his spirit, that part of man which is of God. He did this by breathing the breath of life into his nostrils. This is what gives the body life and keeps it alive......Man, who's soul is body and spirit, has life".

Many Blessings to youI agree that our souls go back to heaven, as the soul and spirit are connected. Spirit is that part of God which is given to us by which we live, the breath of life. Soul is what we come to be as a result of that. It is speaking to me about our life as a person. So to say something happened to my soul, or my soul was sad, or my soul was in heaven, is simply another way of saying something happened to me, I was sad, and I am in heaven. I can also speak of my spirit as that part of me, my inner man, who is the true me. I am not a body. Nowhere are we called bodies. We are souls, which have spirits, which live in bodies. That is how I understand it.

Ron

CWH
01-06-2010, 06:53 AM
I agree that our souls go back to heaven, as the soul and spirit are connected. Spirit is that part of God which is given to us by which we live, the breath of life. Soul is what we come to be as a result of that. It is speaking to me about our life as a person. So to say something happened to my soul, or my soul was sad, or my soul was in heaven, is simply another way of saying something happened to me, I was sad, and I am in heaven. I can also speak of my spirit as that part of me, my inner man, who is the true me. I am not a body. Nowhere are we called bodies. We are souls, which have spirits, which live in bodies. That is how I understand it.

Ron

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this Ron, Bravo!:yo: I would also like to add what Jesus said about ghosts which are also spirits and have no flesh and bones:

Luke 24:37They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

But then it raises another question, are ghosts then lost spirits wondering around the earth?

Many Blessings to you.

joel
01-06-2010, 11:29 AM
A fairly common belief, or so it seems, is that the soul and the spirit are synonomous. I don't happen to believe that.

It also seems to be a fairly common belief that upon death, believers go immediately to heaven. I don't happen to believe that either.

The body, soul, and spirit are distinctly different. The soul needs a body, and the body needs the spirit. Death separates them.

It is not until spirit and body are joined that soul has its expression, the conscious awareness of living. That is what resurrection is all about; the joining again of the body and the spirit.

Upon death, spirit and body are separated. I do not believe the scripture shows us that soul and spirit depart together unto heaven as if they are joined.

If soul in the Hebrew is nephesh, why does it say that "hades" is the abode of the soul upon death? Before you lash me with wet noodles, look it up.

Joel

gregoryfl
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
A fairly common belief, or so it seems, is that the soul and the spirit are synonomous. I don't happen to believe that.

It also seems to be a fairly common belief that upon death, believers go immediately to heaven. I don't happen to believe that either.

The body, soul, and spirit are distinctly different. The soul needs a body, and the body needs the spirit. Death separates them.

It is not until spirit and body are joined that soul has its expression, the conscious awareness of living. That is what resurrection is all about; the joining again of the body and the spirit.

Upon death, spirit and body are separated. I do not believe the scripture shows us that soul and spirit depart together unto heaven as if they are joined.

If soul in the Hebrew is nephesh, why does it say that "hades" is the abode of the soul upon death? Before you lash me with wet noodles, look it up.

Joel

Thank you for your input Joel. I am not sure if you are responding to my posts, but if you are, I do not recall saying that the soul and spirit are synonymous. Did you think I said that? They assuredly are not the same.

If I had lived in the first century, I too would not have believed that no one went to heaven immediately upon death. That would not take place until the resurrection, which I believe happened when the Lord came back. I know you are looking for it in the future, but that is another subject.

I do not understand the nature of your last question. Are you saying that you believe that our soul is a part of us that goes to a literal place called hades, or sheol?

I am still (probably for the rest of my life) seeking to understand the various things such as these, and so am open to correction and changing what I see. If the soul is synonymous with who we are as life, which I am inclined to understand it as, then I would NOT see a PART of me called a soul going to a place called sheol, but but rather that who I am, my life, going into the unseen. Our lives are not a part of us, they ARE us.

Psa 88:3 For my soul is surfeited with perils, And my life touches close to the unseen."

Another Hebrew parallelism, where:

soul=life
perils=unseen

I agree with you in that the soul is said to be in sheol, in hades, upon death, before the resurrection. Several scriptures say that plainly, so I am not sure why you wish to be beaten with a wet noodle my brother. :)

Ron

joel
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Ron, my recent comments were not directed to you specifically, but to.......the vast body of believers with whom I have been in contact with over the years. I was speaking in a very general manner when I said that many believe that soul and spirit are synonomous.

In Acts 2:31, Luke, the writer, speaks of the resurrection of Christ.......his soul (Christ's soul) "was not left in hell" (Greek, "hades")......neither his flesh did see corruption."

Our bodies, in contrast to His, do see corruption when placed in the grave. Our spirits, just like His, are entrusted unto the Father.
Our souls, just like His, will not be "left in hell" when He comes for us, and we are blessed with new bodies as described by Paul in I Corinthians 15.

Our resurrection is in the "likeness" of His which is described in Acts 2:31 with the exception of corruption of our bodies.

The "wet noodle" remark was in anticipation of the rebuttals that may arise from those who hold to the view that upon death we are immediately in the presence of the Lord. But, if that were so, what about the resurrection that is impending when all dead in Christ will be awakened, and be raised to stand, and then will receive new bodies.

This miraculous event, according to what I believe Paul teaches, is a joint occurrence, when all, at the same time, who are His at His coming will be brought together at once............in the space of time that it takes to blink our eyes.

Joel

Rose
01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Ron, my recent comments were not directed to you specifically, but to.......the vast body of believers with whom I have been in contact with over the years. I was speaking in a very general manner when I said that many believe that soul and spirit are synonymous.

In Acts 2:31, Luke, the writer, speaks of the resurrection of Christ.......his soul (Christ's soul) "was not left in hell" (Greek, "hades")......neither his flesh did see corruption."

Our bodies, in contrast to His, do see corruption when placed in the grave. Our spirits, just like His, are entrusted unto the Father.
Our souls, just like His, will not be "left in hell" when He comes for us, and we are blessed with new bodies as described by Paul in I Corinthians 15.

Our resurrection is in the "likeness" of His which is described in Acts 2:31 with the exception of corruption of our bodies.

The "wet noodle" remark was in anticipation of the rebuttals that may arise from those who hold to the view that upon death we are immediately in the presence of the Lord. But, if that were so, what about the resurrection that is impending when all dead in Christ will be awakened, and be raised to stand, and then will receive new bodies.

This miraculous event, according to what I believe Paul teaches, is a joint occurrence, when all, at the same time, who are His at His coming will be brought together at once............in the space of time that it takes to blink our eyes.

Joel

Hi Joel,

If as you say all believers are still awaiting the final gathering to be taken into the presence of the Lord, why then did Paul say this:
2Cor.5:1-3 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.....6-8 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

It seems Paul was strongly under the impression that upon death a believer would be in the presence of the Lord, abiding in his eternal home (heavenly body) in the heavens.

Rose

joel
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
My sister Rose,
I do not desire in any way to take away your anticipation of being in His presence.....it.....above all things must be our constant anticipation.
But......if I were to go into death....now......or at yet another moment....the next moment of which you would be aware would be..........in His presence.
What does it matter, if that event occured immediately........or in an extended period of time?

Joel

CWH
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree with joel that Body, Soul and Spirit are 3 different distinctions but closely connected. I also believe that Hades is an abode for the soul while the spirit went to heaven when one dies. Only on judgement day will all souls be judged.

I use an analogy although not a very good one, to understand Body, Soul and Spirit. The body is like a hardware, the soul the software and the spirit the energy forces that make both hardware and software works. A computer requires software and electricity to work without which it is just a piece of metal and plastics.

Many Blessings to all.

joel
01-07-2010, 05:40 AM
I agree with joel that Body, Soul and Spirit are 3 different distinctions but closely connected. I also believe that Hades is an abode for the soul while the spirit went to heaven when one dies. Only on judgement day will all souls be judged.

I use an analogy although not a very good one, to understand Body, Soul and Spirit. The body is like a hardware, the soul the software and the spirit the energy forces that make both hardware and software works. A computer requires software and electricity to work without which it is just a piece of metal and plastics.

Many Blessings to all.

I am gratified, Cheow, that you see it as you do........as to disposition of the elements upon death; spirit back to God, body into the soil, and soul into the "unseen", or Hades (Greek), Sheol (Hebrew).

It comes as quite a surprise when we see that this is how scripture presents it...........we are told early on that Hades is the place for unbelievers upon death. But all souls are held there until resurrection.

Paul shows that resurrection occurs in "companies"; Christ is the Firstfuit.....then,.....those who are His at His coming.......and then the consummation.

This is why I do not embrace the teaching that Christ came in 70 A.D.......at least in the capacity of resurrection........;surely there was a judgment at that time.......but we all who believe, those who believed then, and those who have believed throughout this age, will be included in the resurrection of the the 2nd company. The third company will not be resurrected until the consummation.

Joel

CWH
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Excellent joel!:clap2:

I believe we have more or less reached a conclusion; upon death; spirit back to God, body into the soil, and soul into the "unseen", or Hades".

I too do not believe that Christ came back in AD 70 whether physically or spiritually. Surely, there will be a time when He will come back to judge all souls on Judgement Day.

There is a good website that refutes the coming of Christ in AD 70. Joe would love it! :winking0071:

http://www.clearerview.org/view/?pageID=139258

Many Blessings.

gregoryfl
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Thank you for sharing that article. Reading it and taking his points to their logical conclusion, I can also say with confidence that scripture is full of such things, not just with the second coming of Christ, but with many other things, things that have never happened yet, yet all believers claiming they did. Not only is this true with such things as Babylon's so-called fall, but also with the things Jesus is said to have accomplished on the cross. History shows that it certainly isn't true now, but must be in the future.

Ron

CWH
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Just wondering if Body, Soul and Spirit have connection with the Trinity. Taking that when one dies, his Body returned to the earth (i.e. returned to God the Holy Spirit), his soul went to Hades (i.e. God the Son) and his spirit went to heaven (i.e. God the Father).

Body returned to the earth to the Holy Spirit because the Holy Sprit was involved in the creation of the earth and the Body:

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
*2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

1 Corinthians 12:13
For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

Psalm 104:30
When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the earth.

Soul returned to Hades to God the Son because Jesus has the keys to Hades:

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

The spirit returned to heaven to God the Father because God the Father is in heaven and heaven is His abode, His throne:

Matthew 6:9
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Many Blessings.