PDA

View Full Version : 12th century

gilgal
01-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Hospitality
I believe it was in the 12th century where hospitals were built.
Both Romans 12 and the 12th book Titus mention this word:

Looking for:
hospitality
Romans 12
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
Titus 1
8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;

Healed of sickeness:

Looking for:
twelve
Mark 5
25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,
26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,
27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.
28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.
35 While he yet spake, there came from the ruler of the synagogue's house certain which said, Thy daughter is dead: why troublest thou the Master any further?
36 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.
37 And he suffered no man to follow him, save Peter, and James, and John the brother of James.
38 And he cometh to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and seeth the tumult, and them that wept and wailed greatly.
39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.
40 And they laughed him to scorn. But when he had put them all out, he taketh the father and the mother of the damsel, and them that were with him, and entereth in where the damsel was lying.
41 And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.
42 And straightway the damsel arose, and walked; for she was of the age of twelve years. And they were astonished with a great astonishment.
43 And he charged them straitly that no man should know it; and commanded that something should be given her to eat.

Elisha died of sickness. The king of Syria was healed of sickness. The king of Israel died of sickness as Elijah prophesied. Hezekiah was healed from his sickness (2 kings).

CWH
01-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi gilgal,

Hospitality is usually not associated with hospital although the word may have derived from it. It is more associated with hotels whereas hospital is more associated with healthcare. This is what I got from wiki on Hospital:

"During the Middle Ages the hospital could serve other functions, such as almshouse for the poor, hostel for pilgrims, or hospital school. The name comes from Latin hospes (host), which also is the root for the English words hotel, hostel, and hospitality. The modern word hotel derives from the French word hostel, which featured a silent s, eventually removed from the word to leave a circumflex on modern French hôtel. The word also is related to the Sanskrit word 'Ispital' and the German 'Spital'."

Many Blessings to you.

gilgal
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi gilgal,

Hospitality is usually not associated with hospital although the word may have derived from it. It is more associated with hotels whereas hospital is more associated with healthcare. This is what I got from wiki on Hospital:

"During the Middle Ages the hospital could serve other functions, such as almshouse for the poor, hostel for pilgrims, or hospital school. The name comes from Latin hospes (host), which also is the root for the English words hotel, hostel, and hospitality. The modern word hotel derives from the French word hostel, which featured a silent s, eventually removed from the word to leave a circumflex on modern French hôtel. The word also is related to the Sanskrit word 'Ispital' and the German 'Spital'."

Many Blessings to you.
Thanks for pointing it out. You're probably right on the word hospital. I don't have any knowledge of the history in the 12th century. I googled hospital and 12th century (http://www.google.ca/search?q=hospital+12th+century&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) But what would you say on the bible passages on sickness found with the number 12?

CWH
01-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks for pointing it out. You're probably right on the word hospital. I don't have any knowledge of the history in the 12th century. I googled hospital and 12th century (http://www.google.ca/search?q=hospital+12th+century&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) But what would you say on the bible passages on sickness found with the number 12?

The number 12 and the verses that you mentioned in regards to hospitality and twelve are probably a co-incidence. BTW, it reminds me of the 12 tribes of Israel, the 12 apostles, the 12 stars of EU. I am not sure if there is any connection with sickness and hospitals/hospitality that you have mentioned.

Many Blessings.

gilgal
02-04-2010, 05:57 PM
The number 12 and the verses that you mentioned in regards to hospitality and twelve are probably a co-incidence. BTW, it reminds me of the 12 tribes of Israel, the 12 apostles, the 12 stars of EU. I am not sure if there is any connection with sickness and hospitals/hospitality that you have mentioned.

Many Blessings.
Thanks for pointing it out. If anyone has any negative things to say on my postings, say it. I take it to correct myself. After all, my words are not final until there is solid proof. I often throw suggestions to make people think on the subject.

I don't always have books right next to me so I type them off the top of my head.

Victor
02-05-2010, 04:10 AM
Thanks for pointing it out. If anyone has any negative things to say on my postings, say it. I take it to correct myself. After all, my words are not final until there is solid proof. I often throw suggestions to make people think on the subject.

I don't always have books right next to me so I type them off the top of my head.

I think the connection you've drawn between sickness and the Number 12 is right on the money. The two consecutive accounts in Mark above (woman sick for 12 years and resurrected 12-year old girl) indicate that. It suggests that Christ came to heal the 12 tribes of Israel.

The Number 12 often appears in the surface text of the Gospels and they sometimes allude to elements of Book 12 of Scripture, 2 Kings. In this case, if we search for "sick*" in the Bible, we'll find a great number of them coming from Book 12. So there seems to be indeed a link between 12 and sickness (and the healing of Israel).

As for hospitality, there is a connection between Romans 12 and Epistle 12 (http://www.biblewheel.com/InnerWheels/Romans/Rom12_Pastoral.asp) which both contain exhortations to showing hospitality. That in itself is not very strong but there are many other points of contact between these two portions of Scripture.

We of course know that the name hospital is associated with hospitality, since it is a natural place where we expect to recieve it! OTOH, I cannot find yet any distinguishable association between the 12th Century and "hospitals."

gilgal
02-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I think the connection you've drawn between sickness and the Number 12 is right on the money. The two consecutive accounts in Mark above (woman sick for 12 years and resurrected 12-year old girl) indicate that. It suggests that Christ came to heal the 12 tribes of Israel.

The Number 12 often appears in the surface text of the Gospels and they sometimes allude to elements of Book 12 of Scripture, 2 Kings. In this case, if we search for "sick*" in the Bible, we'll find a great number of them coming from Book 12. So there seems to be indeed a link between 12 and sickness (and the healing of Israel).

As for hospitality, there is a connection between Romans 12 and Epistle 12 (http://www.biblewheel.com/InnerWheels/Romans/Rom12_Pastoral.asp) which both contain exhortations to showing hospitality. That in itself is not very strong but there are many other points of contact between these two portions of Scripture.

We of course know that the name hospital is associated with hospitality, since it is a natural place where we expect to recieve it! OTOH, I cannot find yet any distinguishable association between the 12th Century and "hospitals."

The body of Christ is mentioned in:

1 Corinthians 12: 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.