PDA

View Full Version : The Rock

Barley
09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
It seems that the things that are of least importance in this world are getting the most attention. Believers are continually being bombarded with the apostate teachings of Satan, which are disguised as true Christian doctrine. The assaults seem to be coming from all angles, but the ones that I believe are doing the most damage are coming from within the Church itself.
Something like cancer within the human body. It is very hard to fight off something that is from within the body without destroying the body itself.
We all know that a time proven tactic of offence is to divide and conquer.
I believe that as Christians we need to know just how secure we are in Christ. When our lives are Christ centered we are secure, our life [temple of the Holy Spirit] has a foundation called the Rock, meaning Jesus.
We are not called to offence, to divide or conquer. That is the work of satan….to kill, steal and destroy.
We are to be ambassadors of Jesus, who came that people might have life and that more abundantly.
One area that we as Christians need more knowledge is the security we have in the love of our all-powerful Father.
When we place of faith and security in anything other than God, we leave ourselves open to all sorts of deceit.
If we truly place our faith in what Jesus bought for us on Calvary the apostate doctrines will simply fall away because they will have no place in us.
The Jews used to have faith in their blood line, that they were the children of God. And that other people were not. Yet when God came to them in the flesh, as He had promised, He destroyed that foolish security they thought they had as sons of Abraham and gave them something much, much better.
Yet today many Christians are denying their Lord and returning to faith in Abraham rather then staying steadfast in the faith of Abraham.
Abraham was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. Today many people are ignoring that heavenly place and instead are trying to set up one in the flesh. They turn to the sons of Abraham who rejected the faith of Abraham and have joined themselves to them trying to set up an earthly Zion.
In this world of strife, turmoil, and fear, the place that is most attractive is the one that is safe and secure.
If we want to make a difference we need to know just how safe and secure our foundation of Christ [the Rock] is.
If we know where we stand and just who our Architect and Builder [creator] is, then our lives will reflect it.
People are looking for a safe place and I know of only one and that is when I have my life centered in Jesus.
When He is the center of all of me, I am secure and solid.

John/Barley

CWH
09-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi,

The Rock reminds me of the verse in Matthew 16:18,

"18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[d] will not overcome it."

I understand that the Rock stands for Jesus or God as evident in many Bible verses but it may also refers to Peter, whose name is "rock" in Greek (petro). It is through Peter that Christ will build the Church and spread Christianity. The Roman Catholics claimed that the Peter is the founding father of the RCC. Another Greek word for rock is (petra) which is feminine gender and was thought to refer to Virgin Mary.

I was thinking perhaps "this Rock" refers to Israel but I am not able to find any biblical reference to it. The reason is because the Church started from Israel and spread throughout the world. "Petra", I heard may mean a pile of rocks and therefore refers to a land.

http://www.bibletruths.net/Great%20Truths/GT15.htm

Anyone other views?

Many Blessings to all.

CWH
09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
The Rock reminds me of the verse in Matthew 16:18,

"18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[d] will not overcome it."

I understand that the Rock stands for Jesus or God as evident in many Bible verses but it may also refers to Peter, whose name is "rock" in Greek (petro). It is through Peter that Christ will build the Church and spread Christianity. The Roman Catholics claimed that the Peter is the founding father of the RCC. Another Greek word for rock is (petra) which is feminine gender and was thought to refer to Virgin Mary.

Why was the Rock written in Greek "petra" in the feminine form if the Rock is to refer to Peter?

Anyone?

god Blessings to everyone.