PDA

View Full Version : Palms of hands

Abigail
07-25-2009, 02:44 AM
In the Bible when people like Solomon held up their palms to God, did they have their hands out flat ie with fingers pointing away from the holder almost like receiving a gift. Or would they just have held their hands up with fingers pointing upwards. Is there any way of actually knowing and more importantly was there any significance in holding palms up like that.

Abigail

CWH
07-30-2009, 09:40 AM
In the Bible when people like Solomon held up their palms to God, did they have their hands out flat ie with fingers pointing away from the holder almost like receiving a gift. Or would they just have held their hands up with fingers pointing upwards. Is there any way of actually knowing and more importantly was there any significance in holding palms up like that.

Abigail

Hi Abigail, welcome back to the forum. :yo: I believe the best person to answer your question is Victor. I saw one of the post which shows an ancient seal with pictures of people praying towards heaven with their out stretched arms and palms facing upwards. I believe this is the way people like Solomon prayed. I am not sure of the significance.

http://www.pleaseconvinceme.com/uploads/TemechSeal.jpg

The seal has several interesting features. First, the elevated hands. The Jews spread their hands when they worshipped the Lord. By the way, the open hand - Kaph - is the name of the eleventh letter of the Hebrew Alphabet. The image reminds of Bible passages like the following:

1 Kings, Book 11 8:22 And Solomon stood before the altar of the LORD in the presence of all the congregation of Israel, and spread forth his hands [kaph] toward heaven.
Job 11:13 If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands [kaph] toward him.

Many Blessings to you.

Victor
07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Hello Abigail!

Hey Cheow, I was thinking of the seal that you posted from the thread First Temple Seal found! (http://www.biblewheel.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=399&highlight=elevated+hands) as an example of the holding of hands to God! Abigail's question maybe answered by that. It shows their arms raised midway through the horizontal and vertical positions. I don't know, but suspect that when thew were in a position of praise and worship they held their hands flat with the palm facing up and that when they made an oath they raised their arm(s) and the fingers pointed upwards.

There is significance in this gesture. It is a recognition of God's superiority over us. We are on earth, He is "in heaven".

Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The above is what the servant of God recognizes when he offers his praise to Him.

Curiously, the verse that I quoted is found on Spoke 11 of the Inner Wheel of Isaiah, governed by the letter Kaph, which literally means "palm of the hand!"

But there's more than that. When we stretch the palm of our hands toward heaven, we are symbolically saying that "this is Thine". We are offering our sacrifice to God. We are saying that we belong to God. (Romans 12:1) It is noteworthy to find that, in Hebrew, when we say that something is "yours" we suffix the letter Kaph (= palm of the hand) to the word that is used. For example: servant = ebed; thy servant = ebedek. The Hebrew language is self-descriptive.

Even the word "praise" in Hebrew is derived from the word "hand"! Hand is Yad, Praise is Yadah. The name Judah comes from this word.

In the Alphabetic Circle, the letter Kaph is in the bottom. It is a good image of the palms of the hands of God's children on earth elevating their hands in praise to God, the Aleph-Tav in the uppermost part of the Circle.