PDA

View Full Version : Spoke 3

Rose
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
An interesting observation:

As I was studying 2 Cor. which is on the third Spoke of the Bible Wheel I noticed that three times the mention of three things is used.
2 Cor. 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.

2 Cor. 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

2 Cor. 12:14 Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

Rose

Victor
07-25-2009, 06:50 AM
An interesting observation:

As I was studying 2 Cor. which is on the third Spoke of the Bible Wheel I noticed that three times the mention of three things is used.
2 Cor. 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.
2 Cor. 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2 Cor. 12:14 Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.Rose

There are some jewels in Scripture that are just sitting there on the surface to be found with no effort. This is the case here. The Third Epistle, found on the Third Cycle of the Bible Wheel, is punctuated by references to "three-ness".

And the very work known as "the Second Epistle to the Corinthians" is suggested by the Bible itself as being the third Epistle Paul wrote to the Corinthians!

1 Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators.

If Paul had wrote before to the Corinthians as this verse strongly indicates, the epistle called 1 Corinthians was his second epistle, making 2 Corinthians the third one!

But there is even more than that, as always.

Let us go back to the verses above. Note that there are two words in the verses you quoted: third (tritos) and thrice (tris). These are not the only times they appear in 2 Corinthians. In fact "third" appears yet a third time in the Epistle! And "thrice" also appears thrice!!

Here's the complete list:

2 Corinthians 11:25 Thrice [tris] was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice [tris] I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth. Such an one caught up to the third [tritos] heaven.

2 Corinthians 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice [tris], that it might depart from me.

2 Corinthians 12:14 Behold, the third [tritos] time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third [tritos] time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

What a wonder! Each word related to the Number 3 appears three times in the Third Epistle! This makes 2 Corinthians the Epistle with the greatest number of references to the Number 3 (except for the Book of Revelation, an apocalyptic epistle full of different numbers). This pattern goes exactly like the fourth book of the Prophets, Ezekiel, which is packed with references to the Number 4.

But there is a final touch of elegance in 2 Corinthians. After the six (three + three) occurrences of words connected to the Number Three, the word "three" (tria) itself appears in the end as a seventh hit in the count!
2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

The word "three" is the final and seventh reference that completes the pattern. Three and Seven are intimately related in Scripture, being, together with the Number One, the most significant symbolic numbers to be found in the structure of the Bible. Just consider: the passage is found in the Third Cycle of the Wheel, which exactly corresponds to the Seventh Canonical Division of Scripture! 3 and 7!

And even the content of the text reflect what is being conveyed by this pattern. We have not only two or three witnesses to the association between the Number 3 and 2 Corinthians in the structure of the Bible, but actually seven, so that the very Word of God is established in both content and form!

Rose
07-27-2009, 08:50 AM
There are some jewels in Scripture that are just sitting there on the surface to be found with no effort. This is the case here. The Third Epistle, found on the Third Cycle of the Bible Wheel, is punctuated by references to "three-ness".

And the very work known as "the Second Epistle to the Corinthians" is suggested by the Bible itself as being the third Epistle Paul wrote to the Corinthians!

1 Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators.
If Paul had wrote before to the Corinthians as this verse strongly indicates, the epistle called 1 Corinthians was his second epistle, making 2 Corinthians the third one!

But there is even more than that, as always.

Let us go back to the verses above. Note that there are two words in the verses you quoted: third (tritos) and thrice (tris). These are not the only times they appear in 2 Corinthians. In fact "third" appears yet a third time in the Epistle! And "thrice" also appears thrice!!

Here's the complete list:

2 Corinthians 11:25 Thrice [tris] was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice [tris] I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth. Such an one caught up to the third [tritos] heaven.

2 Corinthians 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice [tris], that it might depart from me.

2 Corinthians 12:14 Behold, the third [tritos] time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third [tritos] time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

What a wonder! Each word related to the Number 3 appears three times in the Third Epistle! This makes 2 Corinthians the Epistle with the greatest number of references to the Number 3 (except for the Book of Revelation, an apocalyptic epistle full of different numbers). This pattern goes exactly like the fourth book of the Prophets, Ezekiel, which is packed with references to the Number 4.

But there is a final touch of elegance in 2 Corinthians. After the six (three + three) occurrences of words connected to the Number Three, the word "three" (tria) itself appears in the end as a seventh hit in the count!
2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

The word "three" is the final and seventh reference that completes the pattern. Three and Seven are intimately related in Scripture, being, together with the Number One, the most significant symbolic numbers to be found in the structure of the Bible. Just consider: the passage is found in the Third Cycle of the Wheel, which exactly corresponds to the Seventh Canonical Division of Scripture! 3 and 7!

And even the content of the text reflect what is being conveyed by this pattern. We have not only two or three witnesses to the association between the Number 3 and 2 Corinthians in the structure of the Bible, but actually seven, so that the very Word of God is established in both content and form!

Excellent Victor!

As usual, I knew you would come through and fill out the picture. :D

Rose

Victor
07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Excellent Victor!

As usual, I knew you would come through and fill out the picture. :D

Rose

Thanks Rose! Your word count was the spark that led me to check the exact number of references to "three" in 2 Corinthians. And a good thing is that this pattern works perfectly both in Greek and in English!

Victor