The vBulletin software that runs this forum is very powerful and full of cool features. But I've been really frustrated with some of the formatting code. For example, I like to have space between indented text and the paragraphs preceding and following it, like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer eu lectus lorem, eu mollis nunc. Maecenas faucibus, justo non tempus pulvinar, eros urna euismod neque, in sodales urna tellus rutrum odio. In vel ipsum odio. Phasellus consequat dui non sem sodales pretium. Aliquam tristique placerat ligula sit amet consequat.
Etiam cursus sem non risus elementum id imperdiet nibh lacinia. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Phasellus ornare elementum nibh, vel scelerisque nulla iaculis quis. Maecenas vitae quam orci, ut cursus est.
Sed orci nisi, auctor imperdiet pharetra bibendum, imperdiet non eros. Vivamus condimentum consectetur velit vitae lobortis. Sed in arcu non quam sagittis consequat. Curabitur massa ipsum, porttitor ut euismod id, sagittis et velit. Sed a lorem velit, at bibendum felis. Ut venenatis placerat justo, vel vestibulum risus imperdiet quis.

Before I fixed the bbcode tag, we had to add the space manually by hitting the enter button on our keyboards. But then if you edited the text you'd have to do it all over again because the editor removes "white space" like carriage returns. It was really frustrating. So I dug into the code and found the function that generates the index code in a file forum/includes/class_bbcode.php. All I had to do was add a css class to the code generated by that file "class='myclass' with the appropriate style information, and tada! It works.

I feel good.