Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

+ Reply to Thread

Argument against Transfiguration / Pentecost fulfillment of Matt.16:27-28

Just wanted to layout my agrument against the fulfillment of seeing the Son of man coming into his kingdom as pretaining to either the transfiguration or pentecost. I know that some hold to these views, but would like to offer another point of view for these verses (Matt.16:27-28).

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
    28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom

In the pervious verses (Matt. 16:24-26) we find that Jesus had told his disciples that if any man was to come and follow him, that this man would need to first deny himself and take up his (own) cross. This is important to note becasue in the following verses Jesus tells them that some standing there would taste death before the day of the Son of man. We often read it as if some standing there shall not taste death, but it also indicates the opposite that some standing there will taste death before seeing the Son come into his kingdom.

It would also be that Jesus never said that the Son coming in his kingdom was to be seen by some as a vision. There must also be a disconnection from verse 27 to that of verse 28. For when the Son of man comes with his angels they shall come with every man reward and that is to bring judgment. So neither does the transfiguration or pentecost is an event of the Son of man that brings judgment given every man his reward nor that some standing there should not see death until they see the Son in his kingdom.

If we take the context of these passages it relates to his dsicples standing there in that generation. That some standing there would not taste death until they see the Son coming into his kingdom. The Son coming into his kingdom would be that every man would be judged and rewarded according to his works. As I mentioned that Jesus had just told the multitude that if they would follow him that they would need to take up their own cross...that of persecution even until death. Which there is no record of anyone being persecuted until death with in the six days before the transfiguration. As it stated that some would not taste of death until they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. If it's not the transfiguration nor the day of pentecost which still would have to be with in that generation for Jesus to had maded that comment about them.

This forces us to rethink what the meaning of the Son of man coming in his kingdom concerning that generation means. The Son of man has to deal with judgment and that some standing there would live to see that day. It rather seems to imply that Jesus was telling the people that if they were willing to follow him that they would receive persecution and even death as in how he would take up his cross of suffering that they likewise would need to take up their own cross of suffering, but that some standing there would not taste death until that day of the Son of man comes which I conclused to only be mentioning of the desturction of Jerusalem in her judgment in 70AD.
    Last edited by Beck; 05-27-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clearification of point
    Beck

Thread Information