Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    I have no idea what "pattern" you are talking about. Please specify the "pattern" you think I am seeing.
    I just noticed a pattern in your thinking. You claim that Ezekiel's vision was literally enacted even though you have no proof. Likewise, you think that Jesus' name was literally Immanuel even though you have no proof that anyone ever called him that. The pattern I see is that you take mere words from the Bible and confidently assert what you think they mean even though you have no actual evidence to support your case. I find that insightful.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Daytona
    Posts
    1,855
    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    Can you show me Scripture where it shows the name written as Messiah other than in the book of Daniel.
    John 1:41 and 4:25 may be what you're looking for.
    Spelled with an 'h' in OT -- with 's' in NT.
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    There are many messiahs, but only one of those messiahs was The Messiah. That's your mistake. The word "messiah" does not mean "anointed of YHVH." You just made that up, and it contradicts the plain fact that there are many people called "messiah" in the OT.
    I did not make that up.

    Here's another prophets name with it's meaning.

    Isaiah means ''salvation of God'' or more specifically ''salvation of YHVH''

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post
    John 1:41 and 4:25 may be what you're looking for.
    Spelled with an 'h' in OT -- with 's' in NT.
    Can you show me where the name Messiah is written in the Old Testament other than in the book of Daniel when refering to other people as being messiahs as Richard has stated.

    Unless Richard is incorrect.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    Can you show me where the name Messiah is written in the Old Testament other than in the book of Daniel when refering to other people as being messiahs as Richard has stated.

    Unless Richard is incorrect.
    It's as Richard explained. The words Messiah,(Hebrew) Christ (Greek) means 'Anointed'. There have been numberal anointed ones throughout the OT. Moses, David, Hezekiel and even Cyrus of Perisa. Therefore Messiah/Christ isn't a name, but a title. In the Hebrew context of names every name has a meaning behind that name.
    Beck

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    It's as Richard explained. The words Messiah,(Hebrew) Christ (Greek) means 'Anointed'. There have been numberal anointed ones throughout the OT. Moses, David, Hezekiel and even Cyrus of Perisa. Therefore Messiah/Christ isn't a name, but a title. In the Hebrew context of names every name has a meaning behind that name.
    Incorrect.

    Messiah means ''Anointed of YHVH''.

    Kristos means ''anointed''.

    Can you see the difference?

    I really tried to help by showing an example how the name of Isaiah means ''salvation of YHVH''

    The title name Messiah refers to a one off person who will alone hold the title Messiah...... All other people who were anointed by priests and prophets such as King Saul,Sammuel and David never were called Messiah.......

    The name title Messiah is held in reserve for the only begotten Son of God........

    Richard has no authority on this matter.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,804
    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    I have no idea what "pattern" you are talking about. Please specify the "pattern" you think I am seeing.
    I just noticed a pattern in your thinking. You claim that Ezekiel's vision was literally enacted even though you have no proof. Likewise, you think that Jesus' name was literally Immanuel even though you have no proof that anyone ever called him that. The pattern I see is that you take mere words from the Bible and confidently assert what you think they mean even though you have no actual evidence to support your case. I find that insightful.
    Doh!

    I didn't realize you were referring to my comment because you didn't quote it. Sorry.

    Now that I've got my orientation I can respond to your statement. You said "It's you who is thinking that you are seeing a pattern from your way of thinking of how you are interpretating me... Can you see that?"

    Actually, I'm not so sure I can answer that. It's pretty convoluted. What is the way of thinking that you think I think I'm using when I am interpreting what you wrote?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,804
    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    I did not make that up.

    Here's another prophets name with it's meaning.

    Isaiah means ''salvation of God'' or more specifically ''salvation of YHVH''
    That's correct. The contraction Yah from "YHVH" is appended to the word that means salvation. So the name Isaiah really does mean "salvation of YHVH."


    THis is not true about the word messiah. There is no contraction of the divine name in that word. I explained this in a post #3 but you never responded. Here is what I told you: THe word messiah does not mean "anointed of YHVH." The word is spelled Mem Shin Yod Chet - there is no reference to God or El or Yah in that word at all.

    Do you now see your error?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,804
    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    Incorrect.

    Messiah means ''Anointed of YHVH''.

    Kristos means ''anointed''.

    Can you see the difference?

    I really tried to help by showing an example how the name of Isaiah means ''salvation of YHVH''
    And as I said, you got the meaning of Isaiah correct, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the meaning of the word "messiah" because "messiah" has no element from the divine name.

    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    The title name Messiah refers to a one off person who will alone hold the title Messiah...... All other people who were anointed by priests and prophets such as King Saul,Sammuel and David never were called Messiah.......

    The name title Messiah is held in reserve for the only begotten Son of God........
    Yes, in the NT the "name title Messiah" refers to Christ, because there is only one person who would be the Son of God and Messiah. But that is supported by the text of the NT, not the meaning of the word "messiah."

    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    Richard has no authority on this matter.
    I am not claiming any authority. The facts are all the authority anyone needs in these matters, and you have no facts supporting your assertions.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by highflyertoo View Post
    Incorrect.

    Messiah means ''Anointed of YHVH''.

    Kristos means ''anointed''.

    Can you see the difference?

    I really tried to help by showing an example how the name of Isaiah means ''salvation of YHVH''

    The title name Messiah refers to a one off person who will alone hold the title Messiah...... All other people who were anointed by priests and prophets such as King Saul,Sammuel and David never were called Messiah.......

    The name title Messiah is held in reserve for the only begotten Son of God........

    Richard has no authority on this matter.
    You making something out of nothing. Every high preist was 'anointed' of God (Exodus 30:22-25). As in the case with Cyrus as being the anointed of God. The term "mashiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne.

    Also according to Daniel 9:26 of the messiah be cut off if we take the time table and view Dan.11:22 about the High Priest Onias III as being the 'anointed one' that were to be cut off as indicated in Dan.8:10. Then mashiach (messiah) is referring to the anointed one.

    And as to Immanuel ascribed to the child in the time of Ahaz as God with us. That's not uncommon consider that the three children of Hosea was given names that was far from the child itself.
    Beck

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •