Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Burnt with Fire!

Judah, a lead figure in the pedigree of Jesus, sentenced Tamar to be "burnt w fire", Gen38, after she was found to be pregnant .

Was this a death sentence? Was she to be tied to a stake or doused w flammables? At this point in time, the Book of Leviticus hadn't yet been written.

And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." Lev21:9.

The Talmud reportedly calls for this burning by burying the harlot up to her neck; then two witnesses pull on a rope around her neck, while the executioner ladles molten metal down her throat!

Tamar wasn't a practitioner of the Oldest Profession and seems to have good reasons for her actions -- she'd been promised a husband but Judah was procrastinating. And, as Judah learned, he himself was the reason for her pregnancy!
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post

Judah, a lead figure in the pedigree of Jesus, sentenced Tamar to be "burnt w fire", Gen38, after she was found to be pregnant .

Was this a death sentence? Was she to be tied to a stake or doused w flammables? At this point in time, the Book of Leviticus hadn't yet been written.

And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." Lev21:9.

The Talmud reportedly calls for this burning by burying the harlot up to her neck; then two witnesses pull on a rope around her neck, while the executioner ladles molten metal down her throat!

Tamar wasn't a practitioner of the Oldest Profession and seems to have good reasons for her actions -- she'd been promised a husband but Judah was procrastinating. And, as Judah learned, he himself was the reason for her pregnancy!
    This demonstrates, yet again, the gross abuse of women in the Bible. Judah and Tamar had sex with each other, but no one said Judah should be burned!
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    This demonstrates, yet again, the gross abuse of women in the Bible. Judah and Tamar had sex with each other, but no one said Judah should be burned!
    Wouldn't say it like that, 'cause there was purpose (not sex) behind her action at that crossroad..
    And BTW Ram, in all the excitement over your 10^4 post, it seems my poem Road to Damascus got buried -- maybe it could be resurrected?
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Wouldn't say it like that, 'cause there was purpose (not sex) behind her action at that crossroad..
    And BTW Ram, in all the excitement over your 10^4 post, it seems my poem Road to Damascus got buried -- maybe it could be resurrected?
    But her "purpose" was not the reason Judah said she should be burned. They had different standards for men and women. They were very unjust.

I saw your post and was going to comment, but got distracted. I'll check it out.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    But her "purpose" was not the reason Judah said she should be burned. They had different standards for men and women. They were very unjust.

I saw your post and was going to comment, but got distracted. I'll check it out.
    She was a widow, w/o children, like in Deut 25:5 If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Later, Judah's son Shelah apparently DID marry Tamar and named their first son Er, 1Chr4:21.

Granted, Gen38 is prior to Law of Moses -- all the more curious?

She was a widow, w/o children, like in Deut 25:5 If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Later, Judah's son Shelah apparently DID marry Tamar and named their first son Er, 1Chr4:21.

Granted, Gen38 is prior to Law of Moses -- all the more curious?
    How does that relate to the great inequity that Judah said she should be burned, whereas no similar judgment was placed upon him for the same sin?

Check out my blog site

Thread Information