Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers

This is a study from Berkeley. It confirms what I've long suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley.edu
    'Love thy neighbor' is preached from many a pulpit. But new research from the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that the highly religious are less motivated by compassion when helping a stranger than are atheists, agnostics and less religious people.

Study finds highly religious people are less motivated by compassion to show generosity than are non-believers

In three experiments, social scientists found that compassion consistently drove less religious people to be more generous. For highly religious people, however, compassion was largely unrelated to how generous they were, according to the findings which are published in the most recent online issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

The results challenge a widespread assumption that acts of generosity and charity are largely driven by feelings of empathy and compassion, researchers said. In the study, the link between compassion and generosity was found to be stronger for those who identified as being non-religious or less religious.

'Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not,' said UC Berkeley social psychologist Robb Willer, a co-author of the study. 'The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns.'
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    This is a study from Berkeley. It confirms what I've long suspected.

. . .and Timmy chimes in with a re-repeat of A.C. fame and M. Manson singing, "It's not God i hate, but the god of the people i've hated. . .and this is usually looked at in an alternate and variating light yet applies more-so concerning this issue: ". . .professing themselves wise, they became fools. . ."

Religion absent from relationship is sheer idiocy: war on earth and hell thereafter.
    The grateful give.

Notoriousliciously,

Timmy
    Last edited by Timmy; 05-04-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    . .
    When men make gods they make them like themselves...
    When God makes men he makes them like Himself.
    Moreover, when men make gods they make them less than themselves;
    When God makes men He makes them greater than themselves.
    ~G. Campbell Morgan, "The Westminster Pulpit" Bk. 7, Ch. 19, p. 257 LIKE GODS OR GODLIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post

. . .and Timmy chimes in with a re-repeat of A.C. fame and M. Manson singing, "It's not God i hate, but the god of the people i've hated. . .and this is usually looked at in an alternate and variating light yet applies more-so concerning this issue: ". . .professing themselves wise, they became fools. . ."

Religion absent from relationship is sheer idiocy: war on earth and hell thereafter.
    The grateful give.

Notoriousliciously,

Timmy
    Ha! I've always loved that clip of Monte Python. Thanks.

But I wonder what you mean by "relationship." In my current state of unbelief, it sound like a "relationship" with my own imagination. And even if it's not, how would I know the difference?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thread Information