Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How many Gods are there?

It's probably the single most important concept in any of the Abrahamic religions: there is only one God. At least that's what God says, over and over. I doubt I have to quote any scripture to convince people of that. But there are times when God himself seems to indicate that there are more. For instance, in Genesis 3, after Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit, God says "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil" Gen 3:22.

I checked numerous translations, and they all say "us," plural. What is God talking about? Any ideas?

"Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech". Gen 11:7

Funny or peculiar, I think, how God came down first on the mountain; then Jesus came as a baby, and finally the Holy Ghost
    on the Day of Pentecost. They came down IN SUCCESSION!

There's Three (3) of them, just like the 3 who visited Abraham
    in Gen18:2 and he referred to them as "one". (a theophany, they say, like the 4th man in fiery furnace, the swordsman, etc.)

Then there's "the god of this world", 2Cor4:4, aka satan, devil, Beelzebub, accuser, adversary, dragon... but OUR battle is not against flesh and blood, Eph6:12

Also, the many gods made of wood, metal, or figments of imagination, which are really 'No gods at all'. Just things.
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Not from this world...from the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post
    "Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech". Gen 11:7

Funny or peculiar, I think, how God came down first on the mountain; then Jesus came as a baby, and finally the Holy Ghost
    on the Day of Pentecost. They came down IN SUCCESSION!

There's Three (3) of them, just like the 3 who visited Abraham
    in Gen18:2 and he referred to them as "one". (a theophany, they say, like the 4th man in fiery furnace, the swordsman, etc.)

Then there's "the god of this world", 2Cor4:4, aka satan, devil, Beelzebub, accuser, adversary, dragon... but OUR battle is not against flesh and blood, Eph6:12

Also, the many gods made of wood, metal, or figments of imagination, which are really 'No gods at all'. Just things.
    The "us" referred to God's angels as well. God don't act alone in His creation; angels are like God's assistants. If He can create man, He can also create angels; even Satan and his angels. And angels always came in the form of man and therefore in His image. And Jesus always came back together with His angels.

Case closed.

Genesis 19:1
    [ Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed ] The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground.

Job 1:6
    One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.

Job 38:7
    while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Psalm 8:5
    You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.

Psalm 78:25
    Human beings ate the bread of angels; he sent them all the food they could eat.

Psalm 91:11
    For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;

Psalm 103:20
    Praise the LORD, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word.

Psalm 148:2
    Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his heavenly hosts.

Matthew 13:39
    and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

Matthew 13:41
    The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.

Matthew 13:49
    This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous

Matthew 16:27
    For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

Matthew 18:10
    [ The Parable of the Wandering Sheep ] 'See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

Matthew 24:31
    And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Matthew 24:36
    [ The Day and Hour Unknown ] 'But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Matthew 25:31
    [ The Sheep and the Goats ] 'When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.

Matthew 26:53
    Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

John 20:12
    and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.

Hebrews 13:2
    Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

Revelation 5:11
    Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.

God Blessings to all.
    Last edited by CWH; 04-13-2012 at 04:40 AM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Wrestlers, too! Hosea 12:3: He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God:
    Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed: he wept, and made supplication unto him:

God in 3 persons, blessed Trinity (three-some), Way/Truth/Life -- past, present, future -- H2O -- solid liquid gas --
    and bet you can think of many more. OK??
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Can some please show me where in the Bible God created Satan?

David

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    Revelation 5:11
    Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.

God Blessings to all.
    Even the number mentioned is small by comparsion to the billions of galaxies that God has made and each galxy contains billions or stars (and these are only the galaxies we can see)

Psalm 40:5 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post

David
    Shalom David,

Here is the clearest reference (in Ivrit at least)

Job 26:13 ברוחו שׁמים שׁפרה חללה ידו נחשׁ בריח׃

Not from this world...from the other side

David
    Have you ever wonder why God didn't destroy Satan and his angels when He have all the time to do so? Have you ever wonder why God allowed Satan to tempt Adam and Eve and Jesus? Obviously, He was using Satan as a tool to tempt people so as to test and separate the good from the bad. God knows good and evil just like us and wouldn't we sometimes also use evil against evil? Didn't God says that He is a refiner of souls? It's like someone putting a thousand dollars in a drawer to see who is tempted by greed and who is honest and who is dishonest.

Psalm 66:10
    For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver.

Isaiah 48:10
    See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.

Jeremiah 9:7
    Therefore this is what the LORD Almighty says: 'See, I will refine and test them, for what else can I do because of the sin of my people?

Daniel 11:35
    Some of the wise will stumble, so that they may be refined, purified and made spotless until the time of the end, for it will still come at the appointed time.

Daniel 12:10
    Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.

Zechariah 13:9
    This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’'

Malachi 3:2
    But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap.

Malachi 3:3
    He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,

1 Peter 1:7
    These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

Revelation 3:18
    I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

The 3 passages may surprise you, but they are not what they seem to mean... see my interpretation in red:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, KJV) meaning God created good and evil so as to test who is good and who is evil.

Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? (Amos 3:6, KJV)meaning God used evil against evil to create fear so that they will turn to God.

Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? (Lamentations 3:38)
    meaning God is the knower of good and evil and will use them to achieve His goal.

May God grant us His wisdom.
    Last edited by CWH; 04-13-2012 at 04:39 AM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Rev4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

I imagine he enjoys the good things: the happiness, the honesty, the caring for one another. Harder to find these days, it seems.

David
    Does it matter? Are you suggesting that Satan was not created by God?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thread Information