Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

Thread: Benjamin's Cup

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
    Hi dux,

No argument from me on the significance of Mary's descent from David. What interests me most is that Joseph adopted Jesus, although He had a real Father in heaven, and that legally, adoption was just as if Joseph had been his real father. Adoption did not diminish His claim.

Now I see that He was doubly the son of David, and being the Word made Flesh, was vastly more than triply qualified, being 'a man after God's own heart'.

Numbers 27:1 Then came the daughters of Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, of the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph: and these [are] the names of his daughters; Mahlah, Noah, and Hoglah, and Milcah, and Tirzah. 2 And they stood before Moses, and before Eleazar the priest, and before the princes and all the congregation, [by] the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying, 3 Our father died in the wilderness, and he was not in the company of them that gathered themselves together against the LORD in the company of Korah; but died in his own sin, and had no sons. 4 Why should the name of our father be done away from among his family, because he hath no son? Give unto us [therefore] a possession among the brethren of our father. {done...: Heb. diminished} 5 And Moses brought their cause before the LORD. 6 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 7 The daughters of Zelophehad speak right: thou shalt surely give them a possession of an inheritance among their father's brethren; and thou shalt cause the inheritance of their father to pass unto them. 8 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a man die, and have no son, then ye shall cause his inheritance to pass unto his daughter.
    Hello Charisma and all

Thanks Charisma for bringing this story to my attention. I expect Rose will reading this; if not, you might like to use this in one of Rose's threads where she is knocking the Bible for being biassed towards men and not promoting women's rights. Your quoted story is a great example of Women's Rights exercised. Rose accuses God for letting Moses write bill of divorcements for men and not including women. Here we have a beautiful exampleof where women take the initiative and make a request and through Moses, God grants it. This really knocks against Rose's claim that God is biassed against women.

On the subject of the farthership of Jesus. From the perspective of the Jews at that time, Jesus would have been regarded as the son of Joseph. Jesus was a plain boy growing up in a family and to all appearances, Joseph would have been regarded as his natural father and could be seen to be instructing and providing for his son. Unless told differently, why would anyone of that day think differently? It was not till Jesus was aged 30 he bagan his ministry. Up to that time, he was regarded as the Carpenter's Son.
    Joseph accepted Mary as his wife, knowing that she had not had sexual relations with another man. Joseph would have accepted responsibility for bringing up Mary's son (the Son of God). Jesus had to be brought up naturally, because naturally, he was a infant made of flesh and blood and had the same needs as any other baby/child.

It must have come as a shock when Jesus asked; "who is my mother?" Just as Mary was accepted as his mother and it was accepted that Joseph was the natural father, when Jesus asks this question, Jesus is paving the way for him to reveal himself as the Son of God. I doubt that Mary would have gone about boasting her son was the Son of God. Had Mary done this, she would have been open to ridicule and blasphemy and Joseph would also have suffered. It was up to Jesus to reveal that he was the Son of God/ Son of Man. Now the people could ridicule him and think he was delusional; not his parents. I know by this time, Jesus had revealed himself as being different, and that wwould have been obvious by the miracles he did.

Jesus is taking away the barriers of our relationship with one another. We can all be called brethren in Christ. Even though the word brethren is masculine (sorry Rose) it is obvious that women are included in this term. Mary was a woman, she had been blessed by God, and Jesus was not biassed against women. In Christ, we are all the same. We can all be the Children of God or the Sons of God, whatever our sex. On the cross, Jesus had compassion for his mother, he had not forgotten her or denied her as a result of asking this question; who is my mother? The people were being taught an important lesson and we get the lesson as well. I expect this was another message Mary would ponder in her heart.

David
    Last edited by David M; 04-05-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Thread Information