Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

King of Babylon is Lucifer mentioned in Isaiah 14:12

The following is my reasoning from the Bible for believing the King of Babylon to be Lucifer mentioned in Isaiah 14:12.

Searching the Bible, the name Lucifer only appears once and this is in Isaiah 14:12. In this verse the person is also described as; 'son of the morning.' This is not necessarily the 'morning star' only found two times in the Book of the Revelation.
    Rev 22:16 I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. Christ is giving himself this title. The title is not exclusive to Christ who gives this title to anyone who overcomes as he overcame; Rev 2: 26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: ... v28 And I will give him the morning star.

Babylon was at one time the greatest nation/kingdom on earth. God gives the interpretation of King Nebuchadnezzar’s dream (Daniel 2: 36- 45) in which Babylon is identified as the head of Gold. The prophecy goes on to say that the next kingdom to supercede Babylon would be the Medes and the Persians (breast of silver) an inferior nation by comparison to the wealth and splendour of Babylon.

God told through the prophet Isaiah the judgments that would come on Babylon. God’s message was to the to the King of Babylon. Here is the pronouncement made about Babylon
    "And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there. But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there. Isaiah 13:19-21

For centuries Babylon lay buried under sand and it was disputed Babylon ever existed and was used to discredit the Bible. When Babylon was uncovered, the Bible was proven to be correct as with many other evidences of archaeology which prove the Bible to be accurate.

• Alexander the Great and Saddam Hussein tried to rebuild the ancient city of Babylon but were both stopped in their tracks. Babylon would never be inhabited again.

What of the prophecy made about the King of Babylon?
    Isaiah 14:4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

This has to be taken in context along with chapter 13 which is speaking of Babylon. Between Isaiah 13:17 and Isaiah 14:23 God is giving a prophecy that would befall Babylon and its king. Therefore what we read in Isaiah 14:12 is in the same context.

The Bible I use gives headings; verses 9-11 have the heading ‘Israel taunt’s Babylon’s fallen king’; verses 18 – 23 has the heading ‘Destruction of Babylon’. In between these two sets of verses is the section with the heading; ‘The overthrow of Lucifer because of pride and rebellion’. Are we asked to take this section out of context with the sections before and after it? If God is going to insert passages like this which are out of context, we might as well give up trying to make sense of the Bible. The apostle Paul believed; 'God is not the author of confusion' I Corinthians 14:33.

We must make sense of these verses in the context in which they are written. When others say; 'it is ridiculous to say that Lucifer can be King Nebuchadnezzar' they are using a dishonourable technique to win their argument by making out you are ridiculous for thinking such a thing. Of course, when you see the proper context of these words you can make the same retort of anyone else who does not see the connection between Lucifer and the King of Babylon. Using the same retort does not help you win your argument.

Isaiah 14:12 is classic case of false interpretion to build a story which scripture elsewhere does not support. A few verses are built on which to many seen coherent but is scripturally inacurate. They say God’s Holy Angels can sin, that they came down to earth and had sex with women and that Satan (the Devil) is a personal being that goes around tempting everyone and that a warfare takes place in Heaven where God dwells and Satan is thrown out. By taking metaphorical, figurative and symbolic language as literal is a fundamental error in understanding God’s Word. By taking verses out of context, they override the fact as Paul believed and writes in Hebrews 1:14 about the Angels. Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister. Hence there cannot be rebellion in God’s dwelling place. Jesus confirms this; 'Thy will be done in earth as it is done in Heaven' (Matthew 6:10). Only man has the freedom to rebel.

When reading parts of the Bible ask yourself the fundamental question; should I read this as literal of symbolic? It is better to be undecided and continue to look for truth until you can distinguish between the two.

Who then are we to understand is Lucifer, son of the morning? (Isa 14:12). Lucifer would have had more meaning for the people to whom this message was given. I do not claim to have better understanding than the people of that period and culture. However, the king or the people would not draw the same association that others teach today. Research Wikipedia and the internet and see what information you can find on Lucifer and see what conclusions you come to. Lucifer here in Isaiah is spoken of in context of the King of Babylon.

There is no reason for considering the following verses to be anything else other than expresssing the thoughts of a man (Isaiah 14:13) For thou has said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven. V14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds and I will be like the Most High. The building of the Tower of Babel (Gen 11: 4 ) has similar overtones; And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name,
    In the context of Babylon and the King of Babylon the name of Lucifer as a type is used to describe the King of Babylon. It is only humans and animals that go back to the dust and are in the grave (sheol) Isaiah 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to sheol. (the pit/grave)

The following verses in this section speak clearly of a man (the same man referred to as Lucifer) Isaiah 14:16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; 17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof;

As I said at the beginning, this is my understanding based on the balance of the evidence from the Bible. I leave you to make up your own minds.

David
    Last edited by David M; 02-07-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Thread Information