Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are you created in God's image?

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."
    ¯ Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Deuteronomy 32:4
    He is the Rock, his work is perfect

Matthew 5:48
    Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Scriptures tell us to be like God and emulate all he does as we are to follow in his footsteps.

If you are a Christian, are you capable of following your God?

Would you be able and willing to do some of the things the bible shows God doing?

Are you created in God’s image?

Regards
    DL

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Deuteronomy 32:4
    He is the Rock, his work is perfect

Matthew 5:48
    Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Scriptures tell us to be like God and emulate all he does as we are to follow in his footsteps.

If you are a Christian, are you capable of following your God?

Would you be able and willing to do some of the things the bible shows God doing?

Are you created in God’s image?

Regards
    DL
    Hi DL

Verses like Matthew 5:48 give us a pretty good idea of what Jesus thought about Yahweh, or at least what the authors that penned the Gospel of Matthew thought. To describe a god as being perfect that commits the atrocities attributed to the Biblegod, should open our eyes to the mentality of the New Testament writers.

Of all the biased and bigoted laws that Jesus believed were given to the Hebrews by Yahweh, not once did he ever strike one down as being unjust or unfair to women or slaves. Instead, he said not one "jot" or "tittle" would be changed from the law till all was fulfilled!

Considering the image that the Bible paints of its god, I'm sure glad I'm not created in his image ...

Kind regards,
    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Hi DL

Verses like Matthew 5:48 give us a pretty good idea of what Jesus thought about Yahweh, or at least what the authors that penned the Gospel of Matthew thought. To describe a god as being perfect that commits the atrocities attributed to the Biblegod, should open our eyes to the mentality of the New Testament writers.

Of all the biased and bigoted laws that Jesus believed were given to the Hebrews by Yahweh, not once did he ever strike one down as being unjust or unfair to women or slaves. Instead, he said not one "jot" or "tittle" would be changed from the law till all was fulfilled!

Considering the image that the Bible paints of its god, I'm sure glad I'm not created in his image ...

Kind regards,
    Rose
    I second that emotion for sure.

While here, I should introduce you to this lady. She has an interesting message for literalists at the end of her talk.

Let's continue to try to light a fire under your sisters. They are way too quiet.

Regards
    DL

I second that emotion for sure.

While here, I should introduce you to this lady. She has an interesting message for literalists at the end of her talk.

Let's continue to try to light a fire under your sisters. They are way too quiet.

Regards
    DL
    While she had a good message, she needed to take it one step farther and completely free herself from the bondage of the Bible. No matter how much reinterpretation one does, the fact remains that the Bible and its god are built on a patriarchal foundation from which they can never be freed.

Kind regards,
    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

YES, I AM

In no other topic do I ever witness such unbridled hatred than from an Atheist railing against a God of which he purports does not exist.
    Respectfully,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Fawkes View Post
    In no other topic do I ever witness such unbridled hatred than from an Atheist railing against a God of which he purports does not exist.
    Oh my ... the old "angry atheist" meme, repeated in large font no less! How quaint.

I don't know which atheists you are talking about [Edit to add: I just reviewed the thread and guess you are talking about the Dawkins quote in the first post] but I do know that the meme you are promoting is religious propaganda that is not generally true. It's an excellent example of how a cult teaches its members that the only way to be a good person is to be a member of the cult.

When atheists rail against a believer's idol (god), they are not suggesting that the idol is a real god. On the contrary, they are typically trying to free the mind of the believer by showing them their idol cannot exist because it is so irrational and immoral. It is not the idol they hate, but how the idol and the cult corrupts the minds and morals of believers. And there is plenty to be angry about in that regard, as I'm sure you know.

Christians have had free reign to rail against atheists for nearly two thousand years. They have freely slandered us all as immoral reprobates. They have freely abused and murdered atheists for the "crime" of not joining their cult. They have brainwashed countless generations to believe that "atheist" and "godless" are about the worst possible thing a person could be. I know, because even after I became an atheist I would find myself describing particularly offensive people as "godless." I was brainwashed to believe it was the worst possible insult.

Now let's look at reality for a moment, shall we? Who is it that "rails" against whom? Christian preachers habitually rail against atheists from the pulpit, filling the minds (such as they are) of the sheep with hatred. Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson blamed atheists, feminists, gays, and the ACLU for the attacks on September 11, to name just one example.

I'm sorry, but it's very difficult to take your comment seriously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angry-atheists.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	1310
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

The Silly Angry Atheist Meme

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Fawkes View Post
    Christians often try to make Dawkins look irrational by portraying his description of Yahweh as "unbridled hatred" against a god he "purportedly" does not believe in. The use of the word "purported" is perverse, since in Dawkins referred to that "god" as a FICTIONAL character! To suggest that he actually believes in that god is absurd in the extreme. The use of the word "purportedly" is utterly unjustified. It is nothing but rhetoric designed to confirm the belief that atheists are evil and irrational.

As an aside, I should be happy since merely calling atheists "angry" is quite a step up from the "Good Old Time Religion" that brainwashed children with the "atheist bogeyman" and freely slandered, abused, and even murdered anyone who dared to admit that the biblegod had no clothes.

Getting back to the topic: Does Dawkins really display "unbridled hatred" for the biblegod? Nope. If he has "unbridled hatred" for anything, it it is the religion that has brainwashed countless millions of believers to believe that Yahweh is the root of all morality. And rather than "hatred" I think a more accurate term would probably be "well reasoned disgust."

Now let's look at the quote, to see if it is justified:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction:

When Dawkins says "arguably" he is indicating that there are reasons for his opinion.

jealous and proud of it;

That's what the Bible says.

a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak;

I could cite plenty of verses supporting that. Killing a guy for picking up sticks on the sabbath? Killing another guy for "spilling his seed" on the ground cuz he didn't want to impregnate his brother's widow?

a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser;

No question there!

a misogynistic,

Read my article: The Inextricable Sexism of the Bible. And be sure to review the fruit of the Bible tree, as evidenced by 1800 centuries of quotes by Christian leaders.

homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

I do hope that anyone who disagrees with Dawkins' assessment will attempt to defend the biblegod. Should prove very interesting.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    I don't know which atheists you are talking about [Edit to add: I just reviewed the thread and guess you are talking about the Dawkins quote in the first post] but I do know that the meme you are promoting is religious propaganda that is not generally true. It's an excellent example of how a cult teaches its members that the only way to be a good person is to be a member of the cult.
    If it is not politically incorrect for me to use the word ‘true’ in this form, then I say that your statement, “a cult teaches its members that the only way to be a good person is to be a member of the cult,” is true. It is true of all cults, be it a theistic or an atheistic cult. It’s a double edged sword which cuts both ways.

I would like to point out that in my comment I said “an atheist.” I did not say “all atheists” or even “most atheists.”

Also, I thought that you were kidding when you called it the “‘angry atheist’ meme.” After googling it, I realized you were serious. Until now I did not know that it was a meme. Thanks!

When atheists rail against a believer's idol (god), they are not suggesting that the idol is a real god.
    That’s a pretty broad stroke your painting there. Your statement is not true of every atheist. I agree that most atheists do not rail against a believer’s idol (god), however some atheists do indeed actually rail against a believer’s idol (god). Then there are those atheists who are not antagonistic at all – those atheists have a ‘live and let live’ attitude.

On the contrary, they are typically trying to free the mind of the believer by showing them their idol cannot exist because it is so irrational and immoral. It is not the idol they hate, but how the idol and the cult corrupts the minds and morals of believers. And there is plenty to be angry about in that regard, as I'm sure you know.
    I need some clarification here, and I am honestly not trying to be obtuse. When you say “‘it’ is so irrational and immoral,” to what is ‘it’ referring? I can read this in one of two ways.

1. The believer’s idol (it) cannot exist because it (the idol) is irrational and immoral.
    2. The believer’s mind (it) is irrational and immoral because his idol cannot exists.

Since the atheist assumes the idol is not-existent, the first reading would not make sense for the atheist because it presumes that which does not exist is irrational and immoral. Nothingness; non-existence; in mathematic the empty or null set is neither irrational nor immoral.

Unless I’ve missed your point altogether, this leaves the second reading as the logical meaning. If this is so then I can understand an atheist naming someone who worships an idol irrational, but it does not follow that an atheist would consider an idol worshiper immoral. If I decide to bow down and worship a Coca-Cola bottle which has fallen out of the sky, how does my doing so make me immoral?

Christians have had free reign to rail against atheists for nearly two thousand years. They have freely slandered us all as immoral reprobates. They have freely abused and murdered atheists for the "crime" of not joining their cult. They have brainwashed countless generations to believe that "atheist" and "godless" are about the worst possible thing a person could be. I know, because even after I became an atheist I would find myself describing particularly offensive people as "godless." I was brainwashed to believe it was the worst possible insult.
    Here we have consensus.

Now let's look at reality for a moment, shall we? Who is it that "rails" against whom?
    All parties in this dispute are equally guilty.

Christian preachers habitually rail against atheists from the pulpit, filling the minds (such as they are) of the sheep with hatred. Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson blamed atheists, feminists, gays, and the ACLU for the attacks on September 11, to name just one example.
    Again, you are painting with a broad stroke and making an association fallacy. I do not doubt that you have heard a great many Christian preachers, but you have not heard them all. I would have agreed had you said that some (or even most) Christian preachers habitually rail against atheists.... However I do not agree that this is true of all Christian preachers. Still, the two that you did name really are a couple of jackasses.

I'm sorry, but it's very difficult to take your comment seriously.
    That ok. I don’t really take any of this too seriously myself.
    Last edited by Guido Fawkes; 10-08-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Corrected several quotation errors.
    Respectfully,
    Mark

Hi DL

Kind regards,
    Rose
    Hello Rose

I bet you get angry at times Rose, so why not expect God to get angry and accept that you are in the image of God. God is not the image you make of him.

God is not always painted as an ogre in the OT. Did King David consider God wrong for what happened in his life? David recognized his sin against God and his guilt. In contrast to his own sin and guilt, he could delight in the law of God. David on many occasions writes of the compassion, longsuffering, slow to anger, and mercy of God. David's heart/mind was right with God and not many were called 'the friend of God' as David was. David danced before God naked and was not ashamed or embarrassed of showing his delight.

The Bible shows all sides to God and it shows the different sides of man. You pick out that which suits you and miss the lessons that God is teaching us by leaving these things on record. You never consider the positive things God has done and is doing. You are very one-sided at presenting God. Talk about bias against women, you are completely biassed against God.

David

While she had a good message, she needed to take it one step farther and completely free herself from the bondage of the Bible. No matter how much reinterpretation one does, the fact remains that the Bible and its god are built on a patriarchal foundation from which they can never be freed.

Kind regards,
    Rose
    I agree and she likely has and may think that fighting from within a better strategy.

Hard to say.

Regards
    DL

Thread Information