Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,685

    Psychedelic Resources

    In my recent trip to Oakland for the MAPS Cartographie Psychedelica Conference, I met a lot of authors, artists, psychotherapists, researchers, guides, psychonaughts, explorers and other amazing and creative people. This thread is a place for me to record and share the many connections I made.

    MAPS - The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
    http://maps.org/ - Click on the media link to see many educational videos.

    Jim Fadiman Ph.D. Author of The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Theraupeutic and Sacred Journeys.
    http://www.jamesfadiman.com/

    James Fadiman and Robert Thomas presented the Friday (Dec 9) workshop called The New Era of Psychedelic Studies: The Experience that Alters All Others.

    I met Jim on the Sunday morning cruise around the San Francisco bay. He's a very engaging, intelligent, and approachable man. He even gave me some good advice that was a "keeper."

    He lists many important links in his Psychedelic Explorer's Guide:

    The Guild of Guides:
    http://entheoguide.net/wiki/Main_Page
    The Guild of Guides exists as a fellowship, international in scope, without formal structure. Currently, in the absence of corporate form, membership is a state of mind only. Those who are committed to the mission of the Guild, who have relevant training or experience, and who are committed to the Code of Ethics for Spiritual Guides may consider themselves members. In time, the Guild may develop structures in support of this work.

    Erowid www.erowid.org A vast resource of scientific and experiential information about all kinds of psycholytic substances

    The Psychedelic Library http://www.psychedelic-library.org

    The Lycaeum http://www.lycaeum.org

    Council on Spiritual Practices www.csp.org

    Dr. Neal Goldsmith Ph.D. http://www.nealgoldsmith.com/index.html
    Neal authored one of the chapters of The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide. I had the great pleasure of meeting him after the Medicine Ball celebration Saturday night. He is a profound philosopher and psycho-spiritual growth assistant.

    Heffter Research Institute http://www.heffter.org
    The Heffter Research Institute promotes research of the highest scientific quality with the classical hallucinogens and related compounds (sometimes called psychedelics) in order to contribute to a greater understanding of the mind, leading to the improvement of the human condition, and the alleviation of suffering.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,163
    Hi Richard....Did you mention the book, "The Spirit Molecule" in one of the threads? The philosophy book you recommended earlier this afternoon wasn't available until March...but there was a little section below that gave related books people had bought and "The Spirit Molecule" sounded familiar so I downloaded it. I'm about 20 percent through it...very interesting! I've never experimented with LSD and knew nothing about it.
    Fascinating how it describes the spirit molecule as a "chariot" that the brain pulls into itself! Just the fact that so little passes the blood-brain barrier and this so readily is quite amazing!

    Now I'm curious about the conference you went to. The book mentions how the research fizzled out in the early 70's with all the bad press etc. Is there a resurgence now? It sounds wonderful!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,685
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Hi Richard....Did you mention the book, "The Spirit Molecule" in one of the threads? The philosophy book you recommended earlier this afternoon wasn't available until March...but there was a little section below that gave related books people had bought and "The Spirit Molecule" sounded familiar so I downloaded it. I'm about 20 percent through it...very interesting! I've never experimented with LSD and knew nothing about it.
    Fascinating how it describes the spirit molecule as a "chariot" that the brain pulls into itself! Just the fact that so little passes the blood-brain barrier and this so readily is quite amazing!

    Now I'm curious about the conference you went to. The book mentions how the research fizzled out in the early 70's with all the bad press etc. Is there a resurgence now? It sounds wonderful!
    Hi Kathryn,

    Yes, there is a big resurgence now. There are many more serious scientists researching the effects of "entheogens" for psychological therapy (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Death anxiety for terminal patients, etc.). The word "entheogen" means "generating" or "awakening" awareness "of God within." Many, if not most, people have mystical experiences if given these substances in the correct setting. The most famous example was the Good Friday Experiment where subjects were given either psilocybin or a placebo. After about half an hour, everyone knew who got what! Many people have permanent positive life-changing experiences with only one dose. Cary Grant was a famous LSD patient back in the days when it was legal (many psychiatrists thought it was a wonder drug). Here is what Grant said about it:
    All my life, I've been searching for peace of mind. I'd explored yoga and hypnotism and made several attempts at mysticism. Nothing really seemed to give me what I wanted until this treatment. I have been born again. I have been through a psychiatric experience which has completely changed me. I was horrendous. I had to face things about myself which I never admitted, which I didn't know were there. Now I know that I hurt every woman I ever loved. I was an utter fake, a self-opinionated bore, a know-all who knew very little. I found I was hiding behind all kinds of defenses, hypocrisies and vanities. I had to get rid of them layer by layer. The moment when your conscious meets your subconscious is a hell of a wrench. With me there came a day when I saw the light."
    The book you are reading, The Spirit Molecule, is not about LSD but rather DMT. I read that book last year, and then went to San Fransisco for "Bicycle Day" which was a conference/celebration of the 68th anniversary of Albert Hofmann's first intentional dose of LSD after he discovered it. I heard a talk by Richard Strassman, the author of the Spirit Molecule, and many other experts in the filed of Psychedelic Science.

    The latest conference I went to was Cartagraphie Psychedelica - a play on the name of MAPS which hosted the conference. MAPS is an acronym for Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. It was an amazing weekend. The people I met were all of the highest caliber. They look you in the eye and are really "there" when you talk with them. Entheogens are a very potent medicine. Not to be "played with" but definitely not to be ignored. They are truly transformative.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,685
    Here's a good page for more info:

    http://www.drugwarfacts.org

    And this one on entheogens: http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Entheogens

    And here's a great video [source] by Dr. Neal Goldsmith. I met him at the conference. He's an absolutely wonderful man.

    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Hi Kathryn,

    Yes, there is a big resurgence now. There are many more serious scientists researching the effects of "entheogens" for psychological therapy (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Death anxiety for terminal patients, etc.). The word "entheogen" means "generating" or "awakening" awareness "of God within." Many, if not most, people have mystical experiences if given these substances in the correct setting. The most famous example was the Good Friday Experiment where subjects were given either psilocybin or a placebo. After about half an hour, everyone knew who got what! Many people have permanent positive life-changing experiences with only one dose. Cary Grant was a famous LSD patient back in the days when it was legal (many psychiatrists thought it was a wonder drug). Here is what Grant said about it:
    All my life, I've been searching for peace of mind. I'd explored yoga and hypnotism and made several attempts at mysticism. Nothing really seemed to give me what I wanted until this treatment. I have been born again. I have been through a psychiatric experience which has completely changed me. I was horrendous. I had to face things about myself which I never admitted, which I didn't know were there. Now I know that I hurt every woman I ever loved. I was an utter fake, a self-opinionated bore, a know-all who knew very little. I found I was hiding behind all kinds of defenses, hypocrisies and vanities. I had to get rid of them layer by layer. The moment when your conscious meets your subconscious is a hell of a wrench. With me there came a day when I saw the light."
    The book you are reading, The Spirit Molecule, is not about LSD but rather DMT. I read that book last year, and then went to San Fransisco for "Bicycle Day" which was a conference/celebration of the 68th anniversary of Albert Hofmann's first intentional dose of LSD after he discovered it. I heard a talk by Richard Strassman, the author of the Spirit Molecule, and many other experts in the filed of Psychedelic Science.

    The latest conference I went to was Cartagraphie Psychedelica - a play on the name of MAPS which hosted the conference. MAPS is an acronym for Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. It was an amazing weekend. The people I met were all of the highest caliber. They look you in the eye and are really "there" when you talk with them. Entheogens are a very potent medicine. Not to be "played with" but definitely not to be ignored. They are truly transformative.
    Hi Richard....Thanks for all the resources! I spent some time this morning looking into MAPS research in Canada. I would love to get involved in someway. I watched some videos on people in stage 4 cancer and how it has alleviated their fear and anxiety about dying. Amazing! Will comment further when I've finished the book.
    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    14,685
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Hi Richard....Thanks for all the resources! I spent some time this morning looking into MAPS research in Canada. I would love to get involved in someway. I watched some videos on people in stage 4 cancer and how it has alleviated their fear and anxiety about dying. Amazing! Will comment further when I've finished the book.
    Thanks again!
    Hi Kathryn,

    Thanks great. I'm really glad you are researching this. It is in everyone's interest. Not just because we all will die and have loved ones who suffer near death anxiety, but also because of the potential to open new vistas of mind and health and most importantly, understanding of our place in the universe and relation to Ultimate Reality (God).

    Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •