Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Demons

Quote Originally Posted by heb13-13 View Post
    Ok, plain speech Kathryn. Here is the scripture you were asking for.
    Now, if you would kindly show us in scripture where the old serpent is Wisdom.

Rev 12:9
    And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

That's right, the old serpent called the Devil and Satan, deceiveth the whole world, starting with Eve.

Oh, here is one more (double-witness ).

Rev 20:2
    And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

Blessings,
    Rick
    Another witness from God's Word regarding who the "old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan" is. "A murderer from the beginning."

Jesus called Satan the "ruler of this world" (John 12:31).

He also identified Satan as the "prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience" (Eph 2:2).

In Revelation 9:11, John calls Satan the "angel of the bottomless pit." This describes Satan's future. But, until that time Peter warns that, "your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8).

The Greek word for "adversary" is "One who stands against."

In Matthew 13:39, Jesus describes Satan as "the enemy that sows." According to the parable, God is the farmer that sows good seed in our hearts and lives. By contrast Satan comes along afterwards and sows bad seeds that bring forth weeds, choking out the life that God has sown.

Jesus uses an even stronger condemnation against Satan and his work. He calls the devil both a murderer and a liar:

"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning (serpent of old), and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it" (John 8:44).

When the book of Job opens, we find Satan at God's throne, accusing Job, a righteous servant of the Lord. In this scene, the devil is prefigured as "the accuser of the brethren," as John calls him in Rev 12:10, "who accuses them day and night before our God."

In Genesis 3, we find in Scripture the words of warfare. After the Fall, God told the devil:

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman (church), and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (Gen 3:15 )

The "woman" here represents the church of Jesus Christ
    and Satan has waged war with her ever since.

Who is the "offspring" mentioned in Gen 3:15?

Paul explains that the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say "and to offsprings", referring to many, but rather referring to one. "And to your offspring," who is Christ.

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ" (Gal 3:16).

The battle is not between Satan and Man but between Satan and Christ!

There is no other book like the Bible in the world where you have to know the Author to understand the book. If Christianity were the religion of the Book then it would be no different than any other religion in the world. But, Christianity is Christ! It is the dynamic, personal Spirit of God functioning in man.

Answering the Skeptics Bible

Hi Rick...I am well aware of the verses that you've quoted above...and I'm aware of how you are translating them. If you're content with this understanding, without going deeper into the foundation...you're conversing with wrong person.
    Last edited by kathryn; 12-21-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Hi Rick...I am well aware of the verses that you've quoted above...and I'm aware of how you are translating them. If you're content with this understanding, without going deeper into the foundation...you're conversing with wrong person.
    Hey Kathryn,

They have already been translated. Do you mean interpreting them? I'm glad you said conversing because then you are the right person and that is what we should do. So, how do you interpret those verses?

All the best,
    Rick

There is no other book like the Bible in the world where you have to know the Author to understand the book. If Christianity were the religion of the Book then it would be no different than any other religion in the world. But, Christianity is Christ! It is the dynamic, personal Spirit of God functioning in man.

Hey Kathryn,

They have already been translated. Do you mean interpreting them? I'm glad you said conversing because then you are the right person and that is what we should do. So, how do you interpret those verses?

All the best,
    Rick
    Rick...I think it was your turn to comment on what I had written in my previous 3 posts. And...I asked you a specific question you've never answered. How do you reconcile the verse: "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto myself." The OT type for this, is the rod/serpent. Please explain this to me.

Rick...I think it was your turn to comment on what I had written in my previous 3 posts. And...I asked you a specific question you've never answered. How do you reconcile the verse: "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto myself." The OT type for this, is the rod/serpent. Please explain this to me.
    Kathryn, sorry I forgot. Will get to that.

Travelling tomorrow, maybe tomorrow night.
    Be well,

Rick

Kathryn, sorry I forgot. Will get to that.

Travelling tomorrow, maybe tomorrow night.
    Be well,

Rick
    Hi Kathryn,

I did not forget. Packed In the morn, travelled in the afternoon and worked on my reply to you after dinner. Not quite done but I expect to get it to you tomorrow.

Thanks for your wonderful patience,
    Rick

Satan

Here is a good overview of the origins of Satan...

Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Hi Kathryn,

Ok, here is the verse you wanted me to take a look at. This is how I understand this verse.

"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. (This he said, signifying what death he should die' (John 12:32, 33).

In John 3:14,15, Jesus connects His lifting up to the 'serpent' that Moses lifted up in the wilderness.

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life' (John 3:14, 15).

"And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived' (Num. 21:6-9)

So, Numbers 21:6-9 is the transaction to which Christ was alluding to in John 3:14, 15.

The object in both cases was to save men from perishing. If a serpent bites you and it is not treated it will result in the death of the body. The same is true for the effects of sin; unpardoned and uncleansed from the heart, will be the ruin of the soul. One will perish.

Christ is lifted up, so that sinners, believing in him may not perish, but may have eternal life. Perish in this context cannot mean annihilation, for it must be the opposite of eternal life, and this is eternal life is clearly much more than eternal existence. It must be eternal joy and happiness - real life in the sense of all-surpassing enjoyment, and the opposite of this would be eternal misery and this is presented under the term "perish." It is common throughout the scriptures to present the contrast a state of endless misery and suffering with one of endless joy and happiness.

Two things that we can observe between the serpent of brass and Christ.
    1. From the verse in John 12, it is plain that Jesus is referring to His being raised up from the earth on the cross at His crucifixion. Christ must be lifted up as the serpent was in the wilderness.

2. Jesus is held up as a remedy for sin, even as the serpent of brass was as a remedy for a poison. Throughout the Bible we can see sin represented as a sickness/disease. And for this spiritual malady Jesus Christ had the 'healing' power to bring recovery to the 'sick'. He stated that the 'Son of man has power to forgive sin' and He could cleanse the soul from the pollution of sin. Jesus always and ever claimed to have this power directing men to rely upon Him and come to Him as the remedy for their sin.

This is how the serpent of brass was a type of Christ. Whoever looked upon this serpent was healed. And Christ does not heal from punishment only, otherwise the analogy for healing loses its importance, but Jesus cleanses a man from the pollution of sin (corrupted morals). He heals the soul and restores it to health. This is true wholeness.

"Thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins.' (Matt 1:21)

His power is available to save a soul from the uttermost and to cleanse and purify the soul.

'Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:' (1 Pet 1:22)

Christ and the serpent were both held up as a full and comprehensive remedy. In neither case was any assistance needed by man. The cure was all-sufficient to look to Godís provision. The Hebrew children were only to look in a very simple way to the pole with the serpent on it and they would receive their cure from the bite. This was an indication of faith when they looked (expectantly) on this pole to receive their cure.

So, Christ is also to be lifted up as a present remedy against the 'serpents' bite and as the cure was immediate in Moses day the cure is immediate when one looks upon Christ, in faith. To be sure, many are drawn to look upon Christ, but NOT all men look upon Him in faith.

And so today, we hold Jesus Christ 'up' as the one crucified for the sins of men and that whosoever will, may come, but no one is forced or 'dragged' to come to Jesus. You cannot find that anywhere in Scripture.

When you look at the whole counsel of God you will see that it is a free choice given to men to 'look upon the serpent of brass as well as Christ'. And not only must a man look toward the serpent of brass/Christ, but he must exercise faith. No man is forced to exercise faith in Christís atoning sacrifice. For faith must be exercised by each individual, coming from their own volition, their own will.

If in Mosesí time many were seen to still be dying after having looked upon the Serpent of brass who could have believed Mosesí instructions that 'every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live?' I am sure many Hebrews could see with their own two eyes many living witnesses who had the scars of those snake bites, but had been healed by looking upon the pole. Each and every case should have encouraged those who had not been cured yet. Jesus Christ represents Himself as the only One ready and willing and able to save. And this is sustained by the testimony of His living witnesses, too.

Not only is Christ lifted up to be looked upon but how we 'look' at Christ, is the key.

Men looked upon the serpent, expecting divine power to heal them. Even in the days of Moses those men understood that the serpent was only a type, not the very cause in itself of salvation.

When it is said in John 12, "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me," ALL is obviously universal in scope but it is language that is denoting a great multitude. If it was strictly universal it would be at variance with the preponderance of Bible truth. I will draw a very great number of people, a vast "multitude that no man can number." There is nothing here in this one verse contextually speaking that implies the strictly universal interpretation that ALL men WILL look to Jesus and be saved. We know that is not true, for all men DO NOT look upon Jesus Christ in faith to be saved from their sins.

'And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved' (Acts 2:21).

Men must decide to call, you cannot call for them and you cannot make men call.

The serpent of brass was designed to try the faith of the Israelites. God often put their faith to the test, and often used His wisdom to educate their faith and to draw it out and develop it. The Lord did many and various things to prove them. Now they had sinned. Fiery serpents came out among them and many were bitten and poisoned, dying on every hand. God said, Make a serpent of brass and set it upon a pole, and raise it high before the eyes of all the people. Now let those that are suffering look upon this serpent and they shall live. This was designed to put their faith to the test.

I suppose that it is conceivable that many perished through unbelief, although the provision of God for their 'salvation' (healing) was most abundant. Nothing much has changed today, has it? Has the heart of man changed towards the 'foolishness' of God? We can see in todayís world that the heart of man has not changed. The Hebrew children look at a serpent of brass and they might say with scorn, 'what does Moses take us for, complete idiots?' Perhaps like today, some philosophize on the matter. 'Isnít it better, more reasonable and logical that we trust our own tried and true physicians than these 'myths and superstitions?' What divine connection can any man envision about looking upon a piece of brass and being healed of a serpentís bite?

Especially in todayís world, although if you take away the technology I donít think man is much different than any other century the last 2,000 years. In fact, he may be worse off with all of his 'enlightenment.' And of course his 'enlightenment' juxtaposed against the great hypocrisy in todayís Christendom certainly does not help him to see clearly. But, God is able to communicate to men and show them the truth. His truth is denied for many and various reasons and most often exchanged for lies. But each man will stand before God one day and will be forced to face his own responsibility and decisions that HE MADE in the face of the truth that he was shown. Even today, with all of the confusion that is abounding, men are still getting soundly saved. To be sure, the Enemy has sown confusion for millennia and yet the Holy Spirit is able to cut through all the fog of doubt and reach a manís heart.

Many now blow off the gospel of Jesus Christ wondering how anything good, let alone healing can come of faith in a man that died on a cross. It is true, that they hear that some are healed and that people testify that they 'looked to Jesus and were made whole', but they regard these accounts as mere fanatical delusion.

The main problem is that they can see none of their own philosophy in the gospel. But, is this any more strange than a man bitten by a poisonous serpent, who by Godís command to look upon a serpent of brass is healed?

The simplicity of the gospel causes many to stumble and TO NOT BELIEVE. They want something more intellectual, logical, reasonable! They want to understand it completely and they will not trust what they cannot explain. This is why many stumble at the doctrine of holiness and sanctification which is by faith in Jesus Christ. Something so simple, a child could understand it. But their philosophy does not allow them to see it.

And that brings us full circle. Men are to look to Jesus that they may not perish but may have everlasting life. But in this 'looking' they must exercise faith in Him. Faith that brings restoration of relationship to God, healing from the effects of sin and salvation for their soul.

The natural man always seeks to take some credit for his salvation as he works out some form of self-righteousness for he cannot and will not trust Christ alone. It does not seem logical or practical for him. He has been told by the 'enlightened masters' that he is really a pretty good guy and things are not as bad as they seem. That within him is everything he needs to flourish and be happy.

When the serpent of brass was up, there is no doubt that many perished because they would not accept and act upon such a simple plan of 'salvation'. Just like today, many put off the decision to 'look upon' the pole/cross because they did not and would not realize their danger. Others that saw men 'cured' might say 'This wasnít done by the serpent of brass on the pole.' Those men which were supposedly cured probably did not have that much poison in them and would not have died anyway.' They assume that those who give credit to God for their cure are mistaken and that they really cured themselves by just deciding to be whole.

And so we see then and now that many perish from delay. Man wants to wait to see if he is in danger of dying. And yet they wait so long that it becomes too late as the poison of sin has taken its toll on them and they are so crazed that all they can do is lie down and die.

That is why NOW is always the acceptable Day of Salvation.

While 'Christians' are pointing their fingers at sinners they have tossed aside the doctrine of sanctification by faith in Christ. They have replaced the 'uplifted One' by their own persona and they draw men unto themselves. How can they hope to teach sinners with any clarity how to look upon Christ in simplicity and faith? The power of faith is absent in their own lives and all that is left for them to tell others about is the men that they are following. The blind leaders of the blind with the end result that both of them are falling into the ditch.

Jesus said, 'You shall know them by their fruits.'

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name
    done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity'
    (Matt 7:21-23).

The man in Luke 18 shows us how to look upon Christ, not with physical eyes but the eyes of his heart.

'And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner'
    Luke 18:13.

Many blessings to you and Logan, Kathryn,
    Rick
    Last edited by heb13-13; 12-23-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Rick:
    This is how the serpent of brass was a type of Christ. Whoever looked upon this serpent was healed. And Christ does not heal from punishment only, otherwise the analogy for healing loses its importance, but Jesus cleanses a man from the pollution of sin (corrupted morals). He heals the soul and restores it to health. This is true wholeness.

Hi Rick...Sorry for the delay. I have a houseful ! (17 family and 9 dogs!) If you don't mind, I'd like you to go a little farther in this type. How do you understand the use of "brass" in scripture? How is Christ a type of brass?

Also...In the Genesis 3:15 verse that you included above
    Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

.could you explain what the "enmity" was...and how it crushes the head of the serpent's seed....and the "heel" or hinderpart of the woman's seed? What is the "head" of the serpent...and what is the hinderpart/heel of the woman? How does this fit with this description of the rod/serpent? :

Exo 4:4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand:

What is the "tail" of the serpent of brass (as the Christ type) and why the tail and not the "head"? Where else in scripture do you find the concept of the "head" being "lifted up" and the "tail" becoming the "head"? How does that fit in the type?
    Last edited by kathryn; 12-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.

And to everyone on the forum, members and guests...may your Christmas and the coming New Year be filled with the Love and Joy of God...!

Thread Information