Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quote buttons

Quote buttons

When I click the 'quote' button to reply to a post only the poster's comments are there. Is there a way to quote a post that includes not only the poster's comments but also the comments he was responding to? The 'multi-quote' button would seem to be the tool for that function, but nothing happens when I click it. I'm using Firefox, but the same was true when using IE.

Thanks
    Blessings, Tom Case

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Matthew 16:28

Quote Originally Posted by Tomret View Post
    When I click the 'quote' button to reply to a post only the poster's comments are there. Is there a way to quote a post that includes not only the poster's comments but also the comments he was responding to? The 'multi-quote' button would seem to be the tool for that function, but nothing happens when I click it. I'm using Firefox, but the same was true when using IE.

Thanks
    You are asking for "nested quotes" - unfortunately, there's no easy way to do that with the current forum software. I think I can get an add-on that will allow for this, but in the meanwhile here's a work-around. You can copy/paste the the text and put it between quote tags. For example, suppose you want to quote this conversation between Fred and Sam:

Quote Originally Posted by Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    Hi Fred! How are you?
    Hi Sam, I'm fine.
    When you hit the "Quote" button to reply with a quote, you only see Fred's response quoted in the reply box. It looks like this:

[QUOTE=Fred]
    Hi Sam, I'm fine.
    [/QUOTE]

So you need to add the quote yourself, and write your comments below:

[QUOTE=Fred]
    [QUOTE=Sam]
    Hi Fred! How are you?
    [/QUOTE]
    Hi Sam, I'm fine.
    [/QUOTE]
    Why don't you to love-birds find a room somewhere? We're trying to debate eschatology around here!

When posted, it looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    Hi Fred! How are you?
    Hi Sam, I'm fine.
    Why don't you to love-birds find a room somewhere? We're trying to debate eschatology around here!
    It's a bit of a bother, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty quick. You just copy/paste the text from the previous quote and drop it between the quote tags. You can practice in this thread and I'll explain any problems you might have. Others would like to be able to do this too.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    You are asking for "nested quotes" - unfortunately, there's no easy way to do that with the current forum software. I think I can get an add-on that will allow for this, but in the meanwhile here's a work-around. You can copy/paste the the text and put it between quote tags. For example, suppose you want to quote this conversation between Fred and Sam:

When you hit the "Quote" button to reply with a quote, you only see Fred's response quoted in the reply box. It looks like this:

So you need to add the quote yourself, and write your comments below:

When posted, it looks like this:

It's a bit of a bother, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty quick. You just copy/paste the text from the previous quote and drop it between the quote tags. You can practice in this thread and I'll explain any problems you might have. Others would like to be able to do this too.
    Yeah, I've done in similar way using the 'wrap' button, but seeing posts like yours here which break a post into multiple parts with each part preceded by "Originally Posted by Bob" followed by button linking to original post, I thought there might be an easier way that I had missed. But thanks, I'll muddle through.
    Blessings, Tom Case

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Matthew 16:28

Quote Originally Posted by Tomret View Post
    Yeah, I've done in similar way using the 'wrap' button, but seeing posts like yours here which break a post into multiple parts with each part preceded by "Originally Posted by Bob" followed by button linking to original post, I thought there might be an easier way that I had missed. But thanks, I'll muddle through.
    You were right - there should be a better way. Unfortunately, the folks who wrote the vBulletin software didn't agree.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thread Information