Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Beyond Brutality

Isn’t it time the Christian community moves past the biblical solution of dealing with evil by killing people, to a higher consciousness of love? The Bible isn’t the only religious book that teaches violence as a solution to the problem of wickedness in the world, but it is the book that is promoted by millions of people as being a guide to peace. When asked about the nature of Jesus, the first response of many Christians is to say that he was a man who espoused peace, with words such as “pray for your enemies” and “turn the other cheek”, but there is also a very violent side to many of his sayings found throughout the Gospels. The book of Revelation whose full title is The Revelation of Jesus Christ is filled with brutality and violence, which is the preferred method used by Christ to rid the world of evil. The pages of Revelation are saturated with one form of brutality after another, all done in the name of God to cleanse the world of evil and bring in peace on earth. A particularly ironic case in point happens in chapter 19 where it begins by introducing the marriage of Christ, calling all the saints to attend, and ending with the marriage supper where the flesh of all men is the food upon which the birds feast.
    Rev. 19:7-9 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
    Rev. 19:17-18 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God; That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.
    Why is it that many secular humanists in this modern day and age are seeking peaceful means to try and bring harmony to the world, whereas the Bible teaches people the only way to peace and harmony is by brutality? How can slaughtering all the “wicked” people on the planet achieve peace? Yet, this is what we find in the pages of the Bible supposedly inspired by an all loving God. The biblical solution to every problem concerning the “wickedness” of man is to kill them, starting with the Flood in Genesis and ending with the battle of Armageddon in Revelation. This is what many Christians are expecting and waiting for when they speak of Christ ushering in the new kingdom on earth where peace and harmony is suppose to reign.

It is time the Christian community opens their eyes to the brutality of the Bible and understands that the mindset of Bronze Age man saw only one way to achieve peace and that was through domination and violence by a warrior god. It’s time to go beyond the mindset of biblical brutality and seek new ways to achieve solutions to the evil we see around us in accordance with our higher level of knowledge. Looking to brutality as an answer to the problem of wickedness will never work…violence only begets more violence, even if it’s done in the name of God.

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 10-27-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Not from this world...from the other side
    Is being brutal good or bad?

In a "kill or be killed" situation, one have to be brutal in order to survive such as in a war. In fact, in this world that we are living in is a "kill or be killed" environment:

1. Humans kill animals, plants, for food
    2. Humans destroy trees for constructive uses
    3, Humans kill pests, germs, fungus, insects
    4. Humans massacre chickens, cows, carnivores in order to protect human from diseases such as SARs, bird flu, Mad Cow's disease, rabies etc.
    6. Humans kill humans in suicides, accidents, wars, self-defense and crimes and even in meting justice such capital punishments
    7. Humans compete with one another in food, money, business etc. in order to survive....either "I live or I die".
    8. Even in the natural world, the animal kingdom, brutality seems to be the norm.... survival of the fittest, "kill and fight or be eaten"
    9. Many countries including the USA do not believe in talking sense to the enemy such as terrorists, communists; guns seem to be the best talking sense.

It is time the Christian community opens their eyes to the brutality of the Bible and understands that the mindset of Bronze Age man saw only one way to achieve peace and that was through domination and violence by a warrior god. It’s time to go beyond the mindset of biblical brutality and seek new ways to achieve solutions to the evil we see around us in accordance with our higher level of knowledge.
    You seems to be saying Christianity or religion is the path to peace and non-violence, unfortunately, this is not so and RAM will agree with me; it caused more wars and sufferings. Such things also happened with other religions such as Islam and even Buddhism etc. Didn't Jesus said, "This is but the beginnings of birth pangs? (Matthew 24)", "Do not think that I am here to give peace to the world but no I am not here to give peace to the world but a sword (Matthew 10:34)"?

Looking to brutality as an answer to the problem of wickedness will never work…violence only begets more violence, even if it’s done in the name of God.
    Even so, peace does not always begets peace nor non-violence always begets non-violence. Throughout human history, people have tried diplomacy, peace treaty, friendship, royal inter-marriages etc. and none, not one, have achieve ever-lasting peace. Even people such as Napoleon, Hitler thought that achieving a one world government would achieve ever lasting peace and they were totally wrong; none, not one, have ever achieve world peace through world conquests. And none, not one have achieve ever lasting world peace by preaching non-violence, a good example was Gandhi.

I don't support brutality but what I am saying here is that brutality will always remain unless evilness, wickedness in the world is removed totally. Is this humanly possible? Unfortunately No. What we requires is God's intervention, i.e. a higher power to help us achieve the utopian world. Such a world requires righteous godly people in the absence of evil. And that is what God of the Bible is trying to do since creation and that unfortunately involve removing evil unrepentent people from the face of the earth. Can a major war be fought without death? Can a major war be fought by saving all the enemies? Or are we doing world ecology a favor by stopping all carnivores from killing their preys in the name of non-violence? Or are we doing the world a favor by saving all pests such as cockroaches, rats, mosquitoes, germs etc. in the name of non-violence?

May the Peace, Wisdom and Love of God be with everyone of you. Amen.
    Last edited by CWH; 10-28-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post

In a "kill or be killed" situation, one have to be brutal in order to survive such as in a war. In fact, in this world that we are living in is a "kill or be killed" environment:

4. Humans massacre chickens, cows, carnivores in order to protect human from diseases such as SARs, bird flu, Mad Cow's disease, rabies etc.
    6. Humans kill humans in suicides, accidents, wars, self-defense and crimes and even in meting justice such capital punishments
    7. Humans compete with one another in food, money, business etc. in order to survive....either "I live or I die".
    8. Even in the natural world, the animal kingdom, brutality seems to be the norm.... survival of the fittest, "kill and fight or be eaten"
    9. Many countries including the USA do not believe in talking sense to the enemy such as terrorists, communists; guns seem to be the best talking sense.
    A case study in "How to miss the point."
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    A case study in "How to miss the point."
    It's just not helpful to say I missed the point. Try clarifying on what I said about violence. I would rather that Rose responds to my post. There are many indications that Non-violence does not lead to ever lasting peace. Does Non-violence helps if the would be attacker is violent? I am not against use of non-violence or saying that non-violence is useless; in fact I promote its use, but the question is, does it really works in the long term? The answer seems to be no as evidenced by increasing wars and violent crimes. Non-violence sounds good but is it practical in the face of violence? Obviously, Non-violence is not going to work on Saddam or Osama or Ghaddafi. Humanly impossible but nothing is impossible with God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolence

http://www.nonviolenceinternational....hatis/book.php

God Blessings to all.
    Last edited by CWH; 10-28-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Seek and You shall find,

In a "kill or be killed" situation, one have to be brutal in order to survive such as in a war
    . In fact, in this world that we are living in is a "kill or be killed" environment:

Most of the brutality in the Bible has nothing to do with survival. It is just Yahweh getting mad at people who are sinning.

1. Killing of all the people on the planet in The Flood
    2. Slaughtering all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah
    3. Slaughter of the Midianites
    4. Slaughter of most of the tribe of Benjamin in Judges
    4. Slaughter of the 70,000 because of David's wrong census
    5. Slaughter of the 3,000 at Sinai
    6. Ect. ect. ect.....
    7. Ending with the mass slaughter in Revelation...

You seems to be saying Christianity or religion is the path to peace and non-violence, unfortunately, this is not so and RAM will agree with me; it caused more wars and sufferings. Such things also happened with other religions such as Islam and even Buddhism etc. Didn't Jesus said, "This is but the beginnings of birth pangs? (Matthew 24)", "Do not think that I am here to give peace to the world but no I am not here to give peace to the world but a sword (Matthew 10:34)"?
    NO! That's not what I'm saying! The biblical solution to "wickedness" is to slaughter people and that is not a path to peace. Take a good look at Yahweh's method of ridding the planet in Genesis, and continue all the way to Revelation, then ask yourself the question: is there any less "wickedness" in the 1st century then there was at the beginning in Genesis? The answer is NO!

Even so, peace does not always begets peace nor non-violence always begets non-violence. Throughout human history, people have tried diplomacy, peace treaty, friendship, royal inter-marriages etc. and none, not one, have achieve ever-lasting peace. Even people such as Napoleon, Hitler thought that achieving a one world government would achieve ever lasting peace and they were totally wrong; none, not one, have ever achieve world peace through world conquests. And none, not one have achieve ever lasting world peace by preaching non-violence, a good example was Gandhi.

I don't support brutality but what I am saying here is that brutality will always remain unless evilness, wickedness in the world is removed totally. Is this humanly possible? Unfortunately No. What we requires is God's intervention, i.e. a higher power to help us achieve the utopian world. Such a world requires righteous godly people in the absence of evil. And that is what God of the Bible is trying to do since creation and that unfortunately involve removing evil unrepentent people from the face of the earth. Can a major war be fought without death? Can a major war be fought by saving all the enemies? Or are we doing world ecology a favor by stopping all carnivores from killing their preys in the name of non-violence? Or are we doing the world a favor by saving all pests such as cockroaches, rats, mosquitoes, germs etc. in the name of non-violence?

May the Peace, Wisdom and Love of God be with everyone of you. Amen.
    You are right, peace does not always bring peace, and non-violence does not always beget non-violence, but the Bible doesn't even "give peace a chance". My main point is to wake people up to the fact that the Bible gives only one solution to peace and that is to kill all the so called "wicked" people and many, many times a good portion of the so called "wicked" people are children!

I have no clue why you connected the idea of saving "insect pests" with the continual stream of brutality to humans we see in the Bible?

All the Best,
    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Most of the brutality in the Bible has nothing to do with survival. It is just Yahweh getting mad at people who are sinning.

1. Killing of all the people on the planet in The Flood
    2. Slaughtering all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah
    3. Slaughter of the Midianites
    4. Slaughter of most of the tribe of Benjamin in Judges
    4. Slaughter of the 70,000 because of David's wrong census
    5. Slaughter of the 3,000 at Sinai
    6. Ect. ect. ect.....
    7. Ending with the mass slaughter in Revelation...
    Why do you always think killing, killing, killing is bad? That is why I put the killing of animals, plants, insects, pests, germs ect. as an example that killing may not always be bad. If man in his natural brutality could kill, kill, kill animals, plants, pests and insects, he could easily have done that to his fellow human beings. There were wars, murders, violence throughout the centuries since creation due to man's natural brutal instincts why do you always, always. always, blamed them on God. Yahweh was mad at people who are sinning for a good purpose so that people down the generations will not be even more sinful and wicked. It doesn't make sense at all if Yahweh killed sinful people in the past but did not punish sinful or wicked people post AD 70 to the present.....why? And when Yahweh killed sinful people as a punishment, He could easily forgive them and resurrect them. As such to me, there is no cruelty. Is getting rid of evil wicked people good or bad? It's like putting your children to sleep for a thousand years as a punishment for a very heinous crime and then wake them up and forgive them after they have learnt their lesson and repented. Is this cruel? Of course, the parents will feel sad but it is necessary based on justice. That was also why Yahweh wasn't happy when He decided to bring the Great Flood to destroy all evil people on earth it was said in Genesis 6 that it Grieved Him dearly. God is no killing monster if He could expressed such emotion.

5 Then the LORD[b] saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the LORD said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

NO! That's not what I'm saying! The biblical solution to "wickedness" is to slaughter people and that is not a path to peace. Take a good look at Yahweh's method of ridding the planet in Genesis, and continue all the way to Revelation, then ask yourself the question: is there any less "wickedness" in the 1st century then there was at the beginning in Genesis? The answer is NO!
    It is not Yahweh's method but man's brutal instinct at work. And there were brutal men throughout history which you can named them... Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Saddam, PolPot. These are evidence of men's brutal instinct.

You are right, peace does not always bring peace, and non-violence does not always beget non-violence, but the Bible doesn't even "give peace a chance". My main point is to wake people up to the fact that the Bible gives only one solution to peace and that is to kill all the so called "wicked" people and many, many times a good portion of the so called "wicked" people are children!
    Is killing of evil wicked men and children good or bad?... Kill them and then wake them up at a later time to be forgiven.
    Talkng about killing children, brutal men throughout history did that as well without mercy. Another evidence of human's brutal instinct.

I have no clue why you connected the idea of saving "insect pests" with the continual stream of brutality to humans we see in the Bible?
    My point is which is better saving pests or kill them? Same with brutal evil men such as Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Osama, Ghaddafi,
    PolPot, Saddam etc., save them or get rid of them, which is better? So is kill, kill, kill, always always always bad?

May the Grace of God be with everyone of you. Amen.
    Last edited by CWH; 10-29-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Seek and You shall find,

Why do you always think killing, killing, killing is bad? That is why I put the killing of animals, plants, insects, pests, germs ect. as an example that killing may not always be bad.
    There you go again, missing the point!

Did Rose write a single word against the "violence" of killing plants? Nope.
    Did Rose write a single word agaisnt the "violence" of killing bugs? Nope.
    Did Rose write a single word agaisnt the "violence" of killing animals? Nope.
    Did Rose write a single word agaisnt the "violence" of killing pests? Nope.
    Did Rose write a single word agaisnt the "violence" of killing germs? Nope.

DID CWH TOTALLY MISS THE POINT ROSE WAS MAKING? YES!

Come on Cheow Wee ... don't you realize that everyone can see the silliness of your comment? Why don't you apply your careful thinking ability and compose posts that respond to the points being made?

If man in his natural brutality could kill, kill, kill animals, plants, pests and insects, he could easily have done that to his fellow human beings. There were wars, murders, violence throughout the centuries since creation due to man's natural brutal instincts why do you always, always. always, blamed them on God.
    Rose didn't blame them on God. She simply quoted the Bible. It is the Bible that blames God for all the violence he commanded.

Why do you write things that are so obviously fallacious?

And when Yahweh killed sinful people as a punishment, He could easily forgive them and resurrect them.
    Great! Then there is nothing wrong with murder. God can resurrect them! Indeed, by your logic, there is no right or wrong, so there is no sin, so there is no need for a savior or heaven or hell. Good work - you have eliminated the need for Christ and Christianity.

Have you ever tried explaining your ideas to your fellow Christians and you pastor in your Baptist church? Give it a try and let me know how they respond. It should be pretty funny ...

It is not Yahweh's method but man's brutal instinct at work. And there were brutal men throughout history which you can named them... Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Saddam, PolPot. These are evidence of men's brutal instinct.
    That is blatantly false. It is Yahweh's method. Rose is talking about the violence that God commits and commands. Can't you read?

Richard
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Come on Cheow Wee ... don't you realize that everyone can see the silliness of your comment? Why don't you apply your careful thinking ability and compose posts that respond to the points being made?
    I don't give a damn!... my purpose is to show that humans are instinctly brutal. Let everyone decide; it's their own opinions.

Rose didn't blame them on God. She simply quoted the Bible. It is the Bible that blames God for all the violence he commanded.
    I have said a thousand times, it doesn't matter if humans wrote the Bible as it is endorsed by God; even Jesus quotes from it. Did Jesus blamed the Bible or God? ?No. What is the difference if one blames the Bible or God when God is the one who endorsed the Bible.

Great! Then there is nothing wrong with murder. God can resurrect them! Indeed, by your logic, there is no right or wrong, so there is no sin, so there is no need for a savior or heaven or hell. Good work - you have eliminated the need for Christ and Christianity.
    Is Jesus also God? Was Jesus there in the OT? Obviously Yes. Can He also forgive sin at will? Obviously Yes.

Have you ever tried explaining your ideas to your fellow Christians and you pastor in your Baptist church? Give it a try and let me know how they respond. It should be pretty funny ...
    I don't give a damn; I have a right to my own opinion.

That is blatantly false. It is Yahweh's method. Rose is talking about the violence that God commits and commands. Can't you read?
    What? Yahweh's method?....or is it human's brutal instinct? If God committed violence, so what? It's violence against evil wicked people same as the violence committed against Hitler, Saddam, Gaddhafi, PolPot, Osama, is it good or bad? So is kill, kill, kill always bad?

May God Blessed us. Amen.
    Seek and You shall find,

I know that the most talked about part of of "Christian" history is marked with violence. It is the most talked about by humanists, agnostics and atheist because it is the largest part of "Christian" history. Christianity is overwhelmed by her own history. It proves not that God is at fault, but rather that men's hearts are wicked. God has given us everything we need that pertains to life and godliness in the person of His Son.

Have we forgotten the brutality of the Pharisees putting Jesus to death? Because of the brutality towards God's Son, our brutality can end once and for all.

Yes, there are the Crusades, and there is also the 50 million killed or tortured during the centuries of the Inquisition. There are so many examples of brutality in the name of religion. And that's just Christianity. We have not even talked about the Sikhs in India, or the Hindu's, Buddhists, Muslims, Shintoists, etc, etc. Lots and lots of violence in the name of God!! All throughout the world there are religions that protect their turf and in some cases invade others.

It is no wonder that humanists want religion outlawed. I say outlaw it, too!

China has tried to outlaw Christianity. Yet an underground church of true Believers flourishes. These Christians don't plot any overthrow of the government or desire to conquer other people, they just want to follow the Lamb. And they are ready to die for Him without hurting anyone in the process except themselves. We have no numbers regarding the number of Christians in prison or labor camps in China, North Korea, Vietnam, etc., etc., but we know through ministries like Voice of the Martyrs that there are many.

There are those people, no matter how small and insignificant their number may be, that follow the Lamb wherever He goes. Those who lives have been touched by His love and forgiveness. Their hearts are never the same again. Those who have heard His voice will never follow another "voice", again.

What is the Love of God capable of? I lived in Israel for awhile and I witnessed first hand former mortal enemies loving and caring for one another because of Jesus Christ. Arab and Jews who follow the Lamb and love one another. The Prince of Peace brought true peace to them.

I have also watched with interest the "Occupy" protests around the nation and how their fellow protesters and demonstrators are stealing from them and preying upon each other.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP4ef2...27a599ea7.html

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...UqYHrGPCaZaLRK

Even peaceful sikhs fight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJ9xthLjn0

It seems everyone fights if you press the right buttons.

If you have dies with Christ and been raised in newness of life, you have no buttons to push (no religion to protect, no turf to guard).

If you know the Lord then you are grateful that He called you and you are happy to be called by His Name even though there is much shame associated with it. On top of the shame there is derision and mockery from humanists, atheists, and all sorts of people heaped upon you because of what Christendom has done in the name of Jesus Christ. And if you are a true Christian you will separate yourself from all that is not of Jesus Christ.

Kindness to all,
    Rick

There is no other book like the Bible in the world where you have to know the Author to understand the book. If Christianity were the religion of the Book then it would be no different than any other religion in the world. But, Christianity is Christ! It is the dynamic, personal Spirit of God functioning in man.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    I don't give a damn!... my purpose is to show that humans are instinctly brutal. Let everyone decide; it's their own opinions.
    You don't give a damn about looking stupid? I knew it! Thanks for confirming what I thought all along.

But seriously, you could show that humans are brutal without making a fool of youself in the process. And besides, everyone already knows people can be brutal, so what's your point? It has nothing to do with what Rose was talking about. The point that Rose was making had nothing to do with human brutality. She was talking about the brutality committed and commanded by the God of the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH
    If man in his natural brutality could kill, kill, kill animals, plants, pests and insects, he could easily have done that to his fellow human beings. There were wars, murders, violence throughout the centuries since creation due to man's natural brutal instincts why do you always, always. always, blamed them on God.
    I have said a thousand times, it doesn't matter if humans wrote the Bible as it is endorsed by God; even Jesus quotes from it. Did Jesus blamed the Bible or God? ?No. What is the difference if one blames the Bible or God when God is the one who endorsed the Bible.
    You missed the point again. I was not talking about the huiman authorship of the Bible. I was talking about what the Bible says. It is the Bible that says God commanded all that violence. That was the point. It has nothing to do with who wrote the Bible. It has to do with what the Bible says, and the Bible says that God commanded his people to commit a lot of violence.
    I don't give a damn; I have a right to my own opinion.
    Of course you have the "right" to your own opnion - I've never challenged that. But if your opnions contradict Christianity, why do you call yourself a Christian?

And what's up with your new favorite phrase "I don't give a damn?" Do you use that a lot in church? What would your pastor say? Or don't you "give a damn" about things like that?

What? Yahweh's method?....or is it human's brutal instinct? If God committed violence, so what? It's violence against evil wicked people same as the violence committed against Hitler, Saddam, Gaddhafi, PolPot, Osama, is it good or bad? So is kill, kill, kill always bad?
    Yes, Yahweh's method! It appears you have a big problem with reading comprehension. The examples that Rose gave were examples of things Yahweh either did himself or commanded his people to do. Here, let me refresh your memory:
    1. Yahweh killed of all the people on the planet in The Flood
    2. Yahweh slaughtered all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah
    3. Yahweh commanded the slaughter of the Midianites
    4. Yahweh commanded and enabled the slaughter of most of the tribe of Benjamin in Judges
    5. Yahweh slaughtered the 70,000 because of David's wrong census
    6. Yahweh commanded the slaughter of the 3,000 at Sinai
    7. Ect. ect. ect.....
    8. Yahweh completes this whole sorry mess with the mass slaughter in Revelation...
    Why do you deny the obvious? Wouldn't it be a lot better to admit the truth once in a while?

All the best,

Richard

Check out my blog site

Thread Information