Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Equality

Hybrid View

Equality

The damage that has been done to the cause of equality for women in western societies by the influence of biblical thought is enormous. Many men who down through the ages have held the Bible to be the word of 'God', have promoted the idea of female inferiority, therefore inflicting great harm to the rights of women. From childhood many boys and girls raised in Christian homes are taught that the place of the female is below that of the male, consequently a negative mindset is developed from a young age that views women as being inferior to men, thus promoting men having authority over women. This in turn causes many acts of discrimination and violence to be perpetrated against women by men who believe they are acting according to 'God’s' will by keeping women in their place.

Sad to say, many Christian women have also fallen victim to this false notion promoted by the Bible that says women are to be in subjection to men, and their place is in the home. Women need to start taking the control they have available to them as mothers by teaching their children from birth to respect both male and females as equals in all walks of life. When males are raised with a sense of being equal to females their attitudes are formed by thinking in terms of partnerships rather than dominance. How a child is taught in their early years determines their outlook on life, thus if a boy is taught to view girls as being totally equal, then that is the mindset he will grow into adulthood having…consequently there will be far less violence perpetrated against women by men. Using positive influence rather than negative is the compassionate way to raise our children, thus setting an example that enriches and uplifts the lives of all who participate. Let us always choose equality!

Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Not from this world...from the other side
    It's unfair to blame the inequality between genders on the Bible. It happens in almost every religion, non-religion and culture. Some are worst than what was depicted in the Bible such as the killing of female fetus and burning of widows when their husbands died. Even in rare female dominated culture in which females are the head of the family, equality between genders fare no better. There is even an article that claims female dominated societies are violent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matriarchy

http://io9.com/5062446/female+domina...nthropologists

I am in support of equal treatment of gender but we must bear in mind that there can never be absolute equality based on the physical and chemical differences between male and female. God have well-defined roles for male and female based on our natural physical and chemical differences e.g. breasts for female, beard for male etc. And obviously, someone have to be the leader and bear the responsibility of leadership. Imagine how to run USA with 2 presidents. And of course some men abuse the power of leadership on society and women. BTW, are female presidents and prime ministers better than males? I see no better.

Sad to say, brute strength in which males tend to be stronger than females is probably one of the main factors that contributed to the perception of the inferiority of women and the superiority of men. Looking at animals 'societies (including early humans as well), male tends to be the leader of the tribes and this is mainly due to brute strength which offers protection and survivability in the harsh animal kingdoms. Some good examples are lions and apes. But brute strength is not the main requirement in modern society and therefore the emergence of equality for male and female.

God Blessings to all. Amen.
    Last edited by CWH; 09-26-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    It's unfair to blame the inequality between genders on the Bible. It happens in almost every religion, non-religion and culture. Some are worst than what was depicted in the Bible such as the killing of female fetus and burning of widows when their husbands died. Even in rare female dominated culture in which females are the head of the family, equality between genders fare no better. There is even an article that claims female dominated societies are violent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matriarchy

http://io9.com/5062446/female+domina...nthropologists
    I'm not only blaming the Bible for the unequal treatment of women, if you read my post carefully you would have noticed I focused on Christians in western society. The reason I used the Bible is because that is what I am familiar with, but my main point was addressing a positive solution to an age old problem. It's not a matter of one gender dominating the other but of respecting all races and genders as equals, this is why I said that mothers need to take control of raising their children and teach them from birth to view all members of the human race as equals, regardless of physical strength. For that matter there are many small men who are weaker than bigger women, so physical strength has no bearing on being equally human.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    I am in support of equal treatment of gender but we must bear in mind that there can never be absolute equality based on the physical and chemical differences between male and female. God have well-defined roles for male and female based on our natural physical and chemical differences e.g. breasts for female, beard for male etc. And obviously, someone have to be the leader and bear the responsibility of leadership. Imagine how to run USA with 2 presidents. And of course some men abuse the power of leadership on society and women. BTW, are female presidents and prime ministers better than males? I see no better.

Sad to say, brute strength in which males tend to be stronger than females is probably one of the main factors that contributed to the perception of the inferiority of women and the superiority of men. Looking at animals 'societies (including early humans as well), male tends to be the leader of the tribes and this is mainly due to brute strength which offers protection and survivability in the harsh animal kingdoms. Some good examples are lions and apes. But brute strength is not the main requirement in modern society and therefore the emergence of equality for male and female.

God Blessings to all. Amen.
    There is no need for one gender to be in a leadership position over the other, partnership is the choice of intelligent people who know that physical attributes does not make one person superior to another. Women have an equal capacity for knowledge as men and that has nothing to do with physical stature. In many cultures including those that practice Christianity men have used women as workhorses even though they have a smaller physical stature, yet they have denied them educational opportunities wanting to keep them ignorant so they could control them. The only thing many men used their superior strength for was to dominate and control women.

Only when all peoples start treating each other as partners with an equal right to share in all the opportunities this world has to offer, will there truly by peace on earth. The responsibility hangs heavy on the shoulders of mothers to impart an ethic of respect upon their children and when they are grown they will not depart from it.

All the Best,
    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Thread Information