Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Tax Breaks for the Rich or due away with entitlements/benefits?

I've had some heated discussion about tax breaks for the rich, or ending benefits/pensions/health care for government employee's. My boss (young 2nd Lieutenant) got very upset with me today because her family are basically millionaires, and I stated that I saw nothing wrong with expecting them to pay more taxes than they have been in the past 8 years. The Bush tax cuts did not impact the working class, but only the wealthy. And yet it is the wealthy, in my opinion, who are causing the unemployment to spike as we see. It is they who push jobs overseas because they're too cheap to pay American workers salaries capable of enabling American's to spend our way into a healthy economy.

One example I gave is how the big oil companies have sought to control the market and demand to better suit their desires. How, you ask? Simple.

America was once known for its genius; its ability to improve products already existing, or inventing new products to improve our quality of life. When the automobile replaced horse carriages, man soon entered into the fast lane of life. As man grew dependent on gasoline, or diesel, the dependency gave the oil companies what they yearned for the most; control.

With each new invention that came about to improve fuel efficiency, or perhaps new technologies that could lead to future automotive efficiency's, who was there to purchase the rights to ensure such technologies would not be available to the public? None other than BIG OIL. Now it doesn't take rocket science to see why; they want control over our dependency on oil in order to sustain their profits. Thus, they are one major reason why the American economy is tanking; certainly not the sole reason, but one negative contributing factor to our declining economy.

My biggest concern is how major cooperation's have basically gained control over the entire house and senate. No longer are Political Representatives benefiting the needs of the majority, or the common working class, but more to the top 10 percent; this mainly from Republicans.

I've finally made a decision that as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting rid of my gas-powered vehicles and purchasing an all electric car. I'm waiting of course to permit time for automotive manufacturer's to perfect this technology. Thus far, the Japanese are strongest with the hybrid technology, but I'm not looking for a hybrid; I'm looking for all electric so I can free myself from the Big Oil corruption and addiction. My next target, if at all possible, to is free myself from Electrical Power Companies; again, if such a thing were possible.

I'm very tired of being controlled by the market, being forced into spending money that I never liked spending.

What say you all?

Joe
    Israel is more than just a race; it is more than just a nation; it is the people of God, from faith, by faith, and only faith. Those who assemble in the name of Christ Jesus, embrance Israel because they are Israel

Not from this world...from the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheForgiven View Post
    I've had some heated discussion about tax breaks for the rich, or ending benefits/pensions/health care for government employee's. My boss (young 2nd Lieutenant) got very upset with me today because her family are basically millionaires, and I stated that I saw nothing wrong with expecting them to pay more taxes than they have been in the past 8 years. The Bush tax cuts did not impact the working class, but only the wealthy. And yet it is the wealthy, in my opinion, who are causing the unemployment to spike as we see. It is they who push jobs overseas because they're too cheap to pay American workers salaries capable of enabling American's to spend our way into a healthy economy.

One example I gave is how the big oil companies have sought to control the market and demand to better suit their desires. How, you ask? Simple.

America was once known for its genius; its ability to improve products already existing, or inventing new products to improve our quality of life. When the automobile replaced horse carriages, man soon entered into the fast lane of life. As man grew dependent on gasoline, or diesel, the dependency gave the oil companies what they yearned for the most; control.

With each new invention that came about to improve fuel efficiency, or perhaps new technologies that could lead to future automotive efficiency's, who was there to purchase the rights to ensure such technologies would not be available to the public? None other than BIG OIL. Now it doesn't take rocket science to see why; they want control over our dependency on oil in order to sustain their profits. Thus, they are one major reason why the American economy is tanking; certainly not the sole reason, but one negative contributing factor to our declining economy.

My biggest concern is how major cooperation's have basically gained control over the entire house and senate. No longer are Political Representatives benefiting the needs of the majority, or the common working class, but more to the top 10 percent; this mainly from Republicans.

I've finally made a decision that as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting rid of my gas-powered vehicles and purchasing an all electric car. I'm waiting of course to permit time for automotive manufacturer's to perfect this technology. Thus far, the Japanese are strongest with the hybrid technology, but I'm not looking for a hybrid; I'm looking for all electric so I can free myself from the Big Oil corruption and addiction. My next target, if at all possible, to is free myself from Electrical Power Companies; again, if such a thing were possible.

I'm very tired of being controlled by the market, being forced into spending money that I never liked spending.

What say you all?

Joe
    I agree with all of what you have said. The greedy oil companies will have their retribution. I don't see oil lasting a long time and soon (I really mean soon, 40-70 years as the preterists say) we will be running out of oil. Oil will be so precious and expensive that people will begin to cry, "hey, do not damage the oil and ethanol!".

Hey, Joe, you should be buying American cars, my patriotic friend. Chevrolet Volt seems to be a good buy. BTW, I am waiting for an all electric car; let's play a part for not warming up the earth..... hmmmm.... perhaps we should go back to horse carriages which are much more eco-friendly

God's Blessings to you my friend.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

What say you all?

Joe
    Great post Joe!

I was thinking along these lines this morning. I read an article in the NYT called How the Deficit Got this Big. I recommend it. It showed how the Bush tax cuts cost us more than Obama's stimulus, not to mention multi-trillion dollar Bush wars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of Obama, but I'm pretty pissed off with the Republicans. They have one moronic mantra - The economy is booming? Tax cuts for the rich! The economy is sinking? Tax cuts for the rich! It's raining? Tax cuts for the rich! It's sunny? Tax cuts for the rich! They have really harmed our country.

As for your electric car ... nice idea, but what's gonna happen to the electricity rates when more people start using them? Looks like we'll have the same problem, just moved from the right hand to the left. I actually think nuclear power would be great if we could find some responsible people to design plants that aren't gonna melt down and pollute the world like in Japan.

Everything seems so stupid. I'm drinking a beer from a glass bottle that's heading to the landfill after one 12 oz serving. It's just plain nuts. But until the economic forces force a change, it will go on this way ... unless there is a change in consciousness on this planet. And who knows? It could happen. Have you heard of the 100th monkey? It's an apocryphal story, but I like the idea behind it.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

What say you all?

Joe
    Move the Social Security rates back to the 1982- '83 levels
    http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/taxRates.html
    Remove the 'cap' on the Gross amount of what one pays into SS
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...curity_tax_cap
    install a means test of what one may recieve from SS
    http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/cbb.html

By removing the 'cap' of amounts more will be paid into the system. By lowering the 'rate', All paying in will not be hit as hard. By having a 'means' test, those with higher 'post' SS incomes would not get a higher benifit because SS would stop at a certain point.

As for the Electric car.... you are still plugged into The Grid. Electricity must come from hyro dams, coal plants or nuclear, etc.,and there by causing stress in system of our world and making Billionaires richer. the 'fuel' needs to be cheap, readily available and recyclable. Hydrogen cars have and can be build 'without' the Fuel Cell that 'locks' people into serving that masters of big corporations. Cars used to have 'generators' that made electricity, but now have 'alternators' that boost electricity. Generators need to come back into the norm.

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/e...s/?page_id=927

(I do not indorse any of these web site, I am only using them as examples)
    Last edited by Brother Les; 07-26-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Brother Les

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    I agree with all of what you have said. The greedy oil companies will have their retribution. I don't see oil lasting a long time and soon (I really mean soon, 40-70 years as the preterists say) we will be running out of oil. Oil will be so precious and expensive that people will begin to cry, "hey, do not damage the oil and ethanol!".

Hey, Joe, you should be buying American cars, my patriotic friend. Chevrolet Volt seems to be a good buy. BTW, I am waiting for an all electric car; let's play a part for not warming up the earth..... hmmmm.... perhaps we should go back to horse carriages which are much more eco-friendly

God's Blessings to you my friend.
    As with your Futurest Religious ideals, you have been indoctrinated with the 'fossel fuel' lie/hoax. Oil is not a 'fossel fuel', yes it is carbon based. It is i not finite but infinite and is being renewed at a fast rate. Oil Companies know this, but keep the general public confused.

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/e...s/?page_id=927

http://juneauempire.com/stories/090599/Ins_oil.html

perhaps we should go back to horse carriages which are much more eco-friendly
    1) Slow
    2) must feed horse
    3) over whelming DoDo....
    4) not eco-friendly
    Last edited by Brother Les; 07-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Brother Les

I know that buying an electrically driven car still keeps me "in the grid". But the "grid" isn't exactly my concern; it's Big Oil global control and monopolization which deeply concerns me. To date, they are the highest financially profitable institution in the world, with a great deal of political influence and power, which I believe they are abusing. I believe that it's time the world start taking back some of that power. In my opinion, the best way to do this is for everyone to discontinue or reduce our use of gas driven vehicles as much as possible. This would result in excessive supply, which SHOULD force the price of fuel down. Then when they see their huge profits declining caused by demand reduction, that should force their hand into lowering the price of fuel to win back customers. But hopefully, after 30 or so years, most American's should be weaned off of gas driven vehicles, forcing the oil companies out of their global dominance. And THAT would be a dream come true to me. Oh, how I would love to see Exxon CEO's in the unemployment line, if that were possible. If there ever was a wish I'd love to see come true before I die, it’s Big Oil CEO’s in the unemployment line begging uncle Sam for free money; only this time it would be true welfare and not Cooperate welfare, with their billions of dollars in tax subsidies. In my opinion, Big Oil companies are the world’s largest enemy contributing to the global financial crisis, along with greedy financial institutions who profit by screwing the working class, both in America and abroad.

Seems like most businesses pay low wages, forcing the working class to work longer hours (over-time), and even holidays, in order to make ends-meet; this primarily due to the higher cost of living. The working class suffer from enslavement by moderate to high interest rate loans and mortgages, ranging from 10 to 30 years contractually. And because the price of most necessities required in the home (washers, dryers, cars, etc.) are costly, long term high interest rate loans further their enslavement to financial companies. Thus, as is the case with every generation, GREED enables those with power, to abuse those without power.

When it comes to greed, I will not limit this solely as the fault of Republicans; Democrats have their fair share of greed as well. I told my work associates, who continues to grow upset with me in regards to capitalism, namely that capitalism could be summarized in a single phrase; the exploitation of workers. That's how capitalism succeeds in making profit. So in order for capitalism to work, someone must, and will, be at the bottom of the food chain, figuratively speaking, enabling those with both the financial and political power, to control the lives of those with no power at all. Socialism, while unattractive to some, or most, seeks to at least level the playing field without trying to "extort" money from the economy.

Big oil, financial institutions, and our own government, have all sunk to the lowest of lows, even worse than the rich tycoons who chose to let more than 1,500 people die on Titanic to save their own skin; not even poor children were spared. Well, like the rich boys on Titanic as she sank deeper and deeper into the cold dark water, our boys on Capitol Hill continue to let our economy tank, leaving the working class to fend for themselves. Jobs are out there, but very difficult to find. And if you’re lucky enough to have established a long-term career outside of civil service employment, or even the military, then count your blessings because you are indeed blessed, if not lucky. In just 3 short months, I will be retired from the Air Force, and what a relief that will bring me. But then, my next challenge is in battling the VA for medical compensation of the injuries I’ve sustained throughout my military career. And based on what I’ve witnessed to-date, the VA is no joke, with oodles of red-tape and bureaucratic corruption, I’ve got a very tough road ahead.

Military Vets are having difficulty obtaining compensation for service connected injuries. But I suppose this depends on your rank and status. There are higher ups, from Lt. Colonels to Generals, who are abusing the VA system, and using internal connections to steal money from the VA. One article denoted how a retired Marine Corps Pilot used internal family connections within the VA administration to receive 100% percent disability checks (about $2,600 a month tax free) for a 15% percent reduction in hearing. Give me a freaking break! First of all, the VA doesn't compensate for hearing loss; if so, then they'd better start paying up with me. Based on the VA scheduled disabilities and ratings chart, tou get nothing for hearing reduction unless totally lost.

There are thousands of soldiers who have been maimed from combat, from the Vietnam era, to present day, who are fighting for their compensation; some are missing legs, some have holes in their heads, and some have permanent colostomies. They should not have to wait a single day to receive compensation, yet the VA continues to play delay tactics. The Media, such as Fox news, accused homeless Vets of being homeless because of drug addiction. These guys lost their families, their homes, and their dignity, and all because they counted on their government to abide by the simple agreement that once you are as American soldier, you are one for life, and that they would take care of you after your term of service. THAT is the largest BS lie that anyone could ever believe. Sure, eventually over time, they will pay you money, but only after suffering from starvation, losing your home, your dignity, and maybe even your health.

I'm so amazed at how Republicans, and even Democrats, praise our troops for their service, but curse them to their very backs after their service has ended. Some of them believe that because we are a volunteer force, per their view, Vets shouldn't expect anything in return for their injuries. Well, I’ve never heard of a soldier serving as a riflemen for free. There's nothing wrong with expecting compensation and benefits in return; it's not as though we're asking for billions of dollars, like the Big Oil companies, despite their record breaking profits. Oh, but Big Oil would be the first to request Washington to deploy troops to protect oil fields in Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and other third world countries. That’s right folks, the U.S. military is being used to protect American businesses abroad, in conjunction with protecting our national security.

You guys want to know the real reason why they send young and old troops overseas. I'll tell you. It's not just to protect our National security. The real reason why we have bases established all over Europe and Asia, is to protect our American businesses abroad. South Korea is loaded with American businesses such as Michelin, Reebok, Nike, Levis, etc. We're there so that American cooperation's can make money from cheap labor, making products sold at American prices. THAT is capitalism at large; exploiting third world labor to save money on business costs, in order to increase their "bottom line", even if that means screwing the American worker!

Funny, but I thought the government was supposed to represent the MAJORITY of the American public, and not just the stock owners, or head CEO's. I'm growing ever so disgusted with our Country. I hate to say this, but America is long overdue a Revolution. Our government has lost its true purpose.

Joe
    Last edited by TheForgiven; 07-27-2011 at 05:16 AM.
    Israel is more than just a race; it is more than just a nation; it is the people of God, from faith, by faith, and only faith. Those who assemble in the name of Christ Jesus, embrance Israel because they are Israel

Military Vets are having difficulty obtaining compensation for service connected injuries. But I suppose this depends on your rank and status. There are higher ups, from Lt. Colonels to Generals, who are abusing the VA system, and using internal connections to steal money from the VA. One article denoted how a retired Marine Corps Pilot used internal family connections within the VA administration to receive 100% percent disability checks (about $2,600 a month tax free) for a 15% percent reduction in hearing. Give me a freaking break! First of all, the VA doesn't compensate for hearing loss; if so, then they'd better start paying up with me. Based on the VA scheduled disabilities and ratings chart, tou get nothing for hearing reduction unless totally lost.

There are thousands of soldiers who have been maimed from combat, from the Vietnam era, to present day, who are fighting for their compensation; some are missing legs, some have holes in their heads, and some have permanent colostomies. They should not have to wait a single day to receive compensation, yet the VA continues to play delay tactics. The Media, such as Fox news, accused homeless Vets of being homeless because of drug addiction. These guys lost their families, their homes, and their dignity, and all because they counted on their government to abide by the simple agreement that once you are as American soldier, you are one for life, and that they would take care of you after your term of service. THAT is the largest BS lie that anyone could ever believe. Sure, eventually over time, they will pay you money, but only after suffering from starvation, losing your home, your dignity, and maybe even your health.

I'm so amazed at how Republicans, and even Democrats, praise our troops for their service, but curse them to their very backs after their service has ended. Some of them believe that because we are a volunteer force, per their view, Vets shouldn't expect anything in return for their injuries. Well, Iíve never heard of a soldier serving as a riflemen for free. There's nothing wrong with expecting compensation and benefits in return; it's not as though we're asking for billions of dollars, like the Big Oil companies, despite their record breaking profits. Oh, but Big Oil would be the first to request Washington to deploy troops to protect oil fields in Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and other third world countries. Thatís right folks, the U.S. military is being used to protect American businesses abroad, in conjunction with protecting our national security.

You guys want to know the real reason why they send young and old troops overseas. I'll tell you. It's not just to protect our National security. The real reason why we have bases established all over Europe and Asia, is to protect our American businesses abroad. South Korea is loaded with American businesses such as Michelin, Reebok, Nike, Levis, etc. We're there so that American cooperation's can make money from cheap labor, making products sold at American prices. THAT is capitalism at large; exploiting third world labor to save money on business costs, in order to increase their "bottom line", even if that means screwing the American worker!

Funny, but I thought the government was supposed to represent the MAJORITY of the American public, and not just the stock owners, or head CEO's. I'm growing ever so disgusted with our Country. I hate to say this, but America is long overdue a Revolution. Our government has lost its true purpose.

Joe
    Our military people are sent into harms way for International corporations, not for the citizens of America. Once their service is up as mercenaries (it is hard for me and sad that I have to say that) , from either injury or time served, they are tossed aside like an old shoe. The VA is not for helping veterans recover their lives, it is about controling veterans beyond their service. "Trust us as we are from the Government",is a curseable statement, for there is no trust or honesty, but corruption and lies. We should support our troops and always question our government.
    Brother Les

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
    Our military people are sent into harms way for International corporations, not for the citizens of America. Once their service is up as mercenaries (it is hard for me and sad that I have to say that) , from either injury or time served, they are tossed aside like an old shoe. The VA is not for helping veterans recover their lives, it is about controling veterans beyond their service. "Trust us as we are from the Government",is a curseable statement, for there is no trust or honesty, but corruption and lies. We should support our troops and always question our government.
    Amen LES! AMEN!

I'm glad that someone sees the truth of how the military is used by American and International businesses. It's all about protecting profits.

Anyone else?

Joe

Thread Information