Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What does the bible say about Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage

I'm Interested in hearing your reviews on this book by John Coblentz and his approach to understanding of "What does the bible say about Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage" Here's an online source.
    Last edited by Beck; 06-12-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: corrected link problem

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I'm Interested in hearing your reviews on this book by John Coblentz and his approach to understanding of "What does the bible say about Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage" Here's an online source.
    Hi Beck,

I tried to go to the link you posted, but Firefox was unable to open that window.

Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Hi Beck,

I tried to go to the link you posted, but Firefox was unable to open that window.

Rose
    Thanks Rose, I corrected the link.

Hi Beck

From a Biblical point of view I think John Coblentz is wrong in his understanding of non-believers being held accountable for their "marriage sins", as he put it. Marriage sins are no different than any other type of sin according to the Bible; if a person is able to right a wrong done to another it is incumbent upon them to do so, but in the case of marriage (in a free society), most often when divorce happens it is a good thing. One would be hard-pressed to find a case of re-marriage where one of the spouses would want to go back to their ex's (though it does happen occasionally by choice).

Making a stupid mistake in marriage because of immaturity (or any other reason) is not a good reason to ruin your life (and possibly your children's) by staying in a bad marriage. I think the Christian teaching on no divorce or remarriage that some hold to is WRONG, and countless lives have been ruined because of it.

Rose

Hi Beck

From a Biblical point of view I think John Coblentz is wrong in his understanding of non-believers being held accountable for their "marriage sins", as he put it. Marriage sins are no different than any other type of sin according to the Bible; if a person is able to right a wrong done to another it is incumbent upon them to do so, but in the case of marriage (in a free society), most often when divorce happens it is a good thing. One would be hard-pressed to find a case of re-marriage where one of the spouses would want to go back to their ex's (though it does happen occasionally by choice).

Making a stupid mistake in marriage because of immaturity (or any other reason) is not a good reason to ruin your life (and possibly your children's) by staying in a bad marriage. I think the Christian teaching on no divorce or remarriage that some hold to is WRONG, and countless lives have been ruined because of it.

Rose
    I have this book some where, but now I can't fine it. Anyway I think over all he makes come good points, but as you mentioned it hard press to call one to be restored to the first mate although that does happen.

I think what is interesting is I would agree with him that God recognizes there sins. If a case be that a unbelieving man married a woman and then divorced her and then married another woman. Which is very common today. If then the man got saved of his sins which would be adultery I'm guessing. Can he remain with this second woman as his wife and remain without sin?

I would agree with you that some Christian teachings on No divorce is wrong, but I'm not sure on the remarriage.

Here's the full content page for the book source content

I have this book some where, but now I can't fine it. Anyway I think over all he makes come good points, but as you mentioned it hard press to call one to be restored to the first mate although that does happen.

I think what is interesting is I would agree with him that God recognizes there sins. If a case be that a unbelieving man married a woman and then divorced her and then married another woman. Which is very common today. If then the man got saved of his sins which would be adultery I'm guessing. Can he remain with this second woman as his wife and remain without sin?

I would agree with you that some Christian teachings on No divorce is wrong, but I'm not sure on the remarriage.

In my mind the only valid definition of adultery is when a married individual has sexual relations with someone other than their spouse.

The Bible cannot be used as a moral guide for adultery, since what was considered adultery for a woman was not considered so for a man. Take the case of Solomon's 300 concubines, those were women he was not married to, yet he had sexual relations with them. Also look at David and Bathsheba...he should have been stoned for his adulterous behavior, yet he was allowed to marry Bathsheba after he had her husband Uriah killed. The only punishment that David received from God was the death of his innocent child.

With cases like that how could anyone use the Bible as a moral guidebook. Scripture runs the whole gamete from allowing men like Solomon to have hundreds of wives, to the Apostle Paul advising believers to remain unmarried.

Rose

Not from this world...from the other side

I agree that adultery and remarriages are common nowadays and didn't Jesus called this generation the adulterous and sinful generation:

Matthew 16:4
    A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

Mark 8:38
    If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

Remarriages except for sexual immorality and looking lustfully at women are also considered as adultery:

Matthew 4:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[f] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Luckily, Jesus did not say in verse 30,"And if your penis causes you to stumble, cut it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose your penis than for your whole body to be thrown into hell". Didymus, the well-trained man, where are you?.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rose
    Didymus,

If you have never been married....how can you be well trained? That only comes from experience...

Rose
    Didymus replied:
    I have had girlfriends. So much of what I said is from what I learned from them. Other things I learned by being educated by other men.
    Many Blessings.
    Last edited by CWH; 06-12-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

In my mind the only valid definition of adultery is when a married individual has sexual relations with someone other than their spouse.
    I would agree, but dosen't the bible use both adultery and fornication as spiritual rather than always an sexual relationship?

The Bible cannot be used as a moral guide for adultery, since what was considered adultery for a woman was not considered so for a man. Take the case of Solomon's 300 concubines, those were women he was not married to, yet he had sexual relations with them. Also look at David and Bathsheba...he should have been stoned for his adulterous behavior, yet he was allowed to marry Bathsheba after he had her husband Uriah killed. The only punishment that David received from God was the death of his innocent child.

With cases like that how could anyone use the Bible as a moral guidebook. Scripture runs the whole gamete from allowing men like Solomon to have hundreds of wives, to the Apostle Paul advising believers to remain unmarried.

Rose
    Is'nt that what Jesus was indicating to the pharisees that whosoever put away his wife commit adultery as well the man that would marry her that is put away?

I understand in the OT that there where many differences, but again isn't that what Jesus stated that at the first it was not so, but becasue of their heart God allowed Moses to give a letter of divorcement.

Looking at Mark 10:11-12 it would seem that both sides whether the man or the woman put away their mate and remarry they commit adultery.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    I agree that adultery and remarriages are common nowadays and didn't Jesus called this generation the adulterous and sinful generation:

Matthew 16:4
    A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.' Jesus then left them and went away.

Mark 8:38
    If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.'
    In these terms the use of adultery and adulterous is about their spiritual condition not that they where a generation of sexual perverts.

Remarriages except for sexual immorality and looking lustfully at women are also considered as adultery:

Matthew 4:27 'You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.31 'It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[f] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
    In true context when looking at a woman it should have read, looking at a 'wife' [Strongs=G1135]to lust. How else would one commit adultery?

I would agree, but dosen't the bible use both adultery and fornication as spiritual rather than always an sexual relationship?
    Yes, in the Bible lusting in ones heart after another is also considered adultery.

Is'nt that what Jesus was indicating to the pharisees that whosoever put away his wife commit adultery as well the man that would marry her that is put away?

I understand in the OT that there where many differences, but again isn't that what Jesus stated that at the first it was not so, but becasue of their heart God allowed Moses to give a letter of divorcement.

Looking at Mark 10:11-12 it would seem that both sides whether the man or the woman put away their mate and remarry they commit adultery.
    Like I said, the Bible has both extremes when it comes to marriage. On one hand the Old is totally permissive when it comes to men divorcing their wives whenever they want and how many wives they can have, though it was never the case for women...whereas in the New the idea of celibacy is promoted.

Seems to me people need to use their own judgment on matters of divorce and remarriage.

Rose

Thread Information