Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Is The Bible The Word Of God?

I am seeing something that I never thought I would see in my life. Christians questioning the veracity of the Bible.

While the Bible, from original writings to today, has been through many copies, translations, groups deciding what goes in the Bible and what doesn't. Through all that, I believe, the Bible is the word of God. I do not come to that conclusion by intelligence, but by faith. Faith in a sovereign God that is more than capable of protecting His Word. And when man, in his free will, does mistranslate words, God is able to show us the truth.

Thanks for your time.

Justice at the expense of the truth is not justice at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus View Post
    I am seeing something that I never thought I would see in my life. Christians questioning the veracity of the Bible.

While the Bible, from original writings to today, has been through many copies, translations, groups deciding what goes in the Bible and what doesn't. Through all that, I believe, the Bible is the word of God. I do not come to that conclusion by intelligence, but by faith. Faith in a sovereign God that is more than capable of protecting His Word. And when man, in his free will, does mistranslate words, God is able to show us the truth.

Thanks for your time.

So you are saying you just made it up? The Bible does not tell you which books it contains, so there is no way for you to know what you believe. You are basing your belief in the Protestant Bible on tradition. That's exactly what the Catholics do - they base their beliefs on tradition. How do you know the tradition you chose is correct? The Catholics and Greek Orthodox have been around a lot longer than the Protestants, so doesn't that prove that God was guiding them? But they have a different Bible than you ... so didn't God use his "sovereignty" to "protect His Word" through the Catholics and Greek Orthodox?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thanks for your time.

Why aren't you a Muslim? Couldn't you put the same "non-intelligent" faith in the Quran as in the Bible? Why choose one over the other if you are not using your intelligence?
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thanks for your time.

Hi didymus,

Where did you get your faith from to believe the Bible is the word of God?

Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    So you are saying you just made it up? The Bible does not tell you which books it contains, so there is no way for you to know what you believe. You are basing your belief in the Protestant Bible on tradition. That's exactly what the Catholics do - they base their beliefs on tradition. How do you know the tradition you chose is correct? The Catholics and Greek Orthodox have been around a lot longer than the Protestants, so doesn't that prove that God was guiding them? But they have a different Bible than you ... so didn't God use his "sovereignty" to "protect His Word" through the Catholics and Greek Orthodox?
    RAM,

How little you know about me. I do have Catholic Bibles. I have Bibles with the Apocrypha. I have books that contain what has been dubbed "spurious writings." I have writings of the Apostolic Fathers.

I am not convinced the Canon Divines were correct in their opinions of what did or did not belong in the canon. Those are intelligent opinions. But I have faith in the overall message, which is salvation through faith in Christ.

Last edited by Didymus; 05-23-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Hi didymus,

Rose
    I have had that faith ever since I can remember, even before I have ever seen a Bible. I think I picked it up from my parents.

I have had that faith ever since I can remember, even before I have ever seen a Bible. I think I picked it up from my parents.

And if your parents were Muslim, what do you suppose you would be believing today?

Check out my blog site

Thanks for your time.

Maybe the skepticism you are witnessing, especially from some whom you would least suspect, is a sign of the time we are in. Scoffers say....."If.....why......when....." because they may have not been granted the faith. Faith is a gift. Or, if once granted faith, it may become weak, without substance, and a foundation built upon sand.

The Word of God transmits, and transfers faith. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

The enemy to our faith in God's Word, and the faith arising from His Word, comes to steal it. It is a story as old as the garden. Twisting the Word, and accusing God of things which are not true to His character are peril to the scoffer and mocker.

Faith may become wavering......and......may take a wrong turn......heading for the rocks of the shipwrecked ex-believers of the past.

God is able to preserve His Word, even when falsely translated. To the seeker of truth, a relationship with God will take the written Word, even when falsely translated, and speak the sure Word to the spirit.

Paul said the the soulish man cannot receive those things given by God, ....they are foolishness to him.

But, to the spiritual, even the deep things of God are to be made apparent.

Keep the faith. Hold fast to the sound words, and God will reveal to you, as He already has, the truth that will guard your soul in these perilous times.

Joel
    For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Maybe the skepticism you are witnessing, especially from some whom you would least suspect, is a sign of the time we are in. Scoffers say....."If.....why......when....." because they may have not been granted the faith. Faith is a gift. Or, if once granted faith, it may become weak, without substance, and a foundation built upon sand.

The Word of God transmits, and transfers faith. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

The enemy to our faith in God's Word, and the faith arising from His Word, comes to steal it. It is a story as old as the garden. Twisting the Word, and accusing God of things which are not true to His character are peril to the scoffer and mocker.

Faith may become wavering......and......may take a wrong turn......heading for the rocks of the shipwrecked ex-believers of the past.

God is able to preserve His Word, even when falsely translated. To the seeker of truth, a relationship with God will take the written Word, even when falsely translated, and speak the sure Word to the spirit.

Paul said the the soulish man cannot receive those things given by God, ....they are foolishness to him.

But, to the spiritual, even the deep things of God are to be made apparent.

Keep the faith. Hold fast to the sound words, and God will reveal to you, as He already has, the truth that will guard your soul in these perilous times.

Joel
    Hey Joel,

Why do you believe the Bible is the Word of God? Do you have evidence for your claims?

Richard

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Hi didymus,

Rose
    It's a logical and reasonable outcome of the evidence of a creator and from the characteristics and depth of his Creation, namely man.

But as many make the point; Jesus is THE WORD of God and the written word is the confirmation and testimony about Him and the Creator/Father.
    1Thess 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    If you are oppressed and enslaved by religious law, you may have a tendency to oppress, enslave and attempt to lord over others who are free.

Thread Information