Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Not from this world...from the other side
    Yes gem, I am surprised too of the similarities between the sons of Cain and the sons of Seth. They seems to tell the story of what happened during Cain and Abel's time so that generations after them will be reminded.

This reminds me of something in Craig Paardekooper's Ebook- Enoch: An Essay on Angels- Have you read it?
    This thread tells about it.
    Enoch : an essay on angels
    Thanks gem, I have not read Craig Paardekooper's Ebook and I am not able to open the link but I will search through the net.

Many Blessings and Merry Christmas.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheow Wee Hock View Post
    Thanks gem, I have not read Craig Paardekooper's Ebook and I am not able to open the link but I will search through the net.
    Hi Cheow,
    Sorry- I donít know how to post a link to another thread. It is in the Book Reviews forum and the thread is titled Enoch: an essay on angles. In that thread there is a link to the eBook, which is also titled Enoch: An Essay on Angels. It is fascinating! I think you will enjoy it.
    Have a Merry Christmas!
    g.

Not from this world...from the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by gem View Post
    Hi Cheow,
    Sorry- I donít know how to post a link to another thread. It is in the Book Reviews forum and the thread is titled Enoch: an essay on angles. In that thread there is a link to the eBook, which is also titled Enoch: An Essay on Angels. It is fascinating! I think you will enjoy it.
    Have a Merry Christmas!
    g.
    Hi gem and thanks,

Now I remembered that I have read through Craig's thread on Enoch: an essay on angels in the Book Review forum. I did not complete reading it then but I managed to read it completely today. Yes Craig's book has many references and fascinating but it does not reference to the sons of Cain or Lamech. How about that Craig...give us some of your thoughts on this subject?

BTW, the reference in Genesis of the similarities of the sons of Cain and the sons of Seth seems like a reference of the fight between evil (sons of cain) and good (sons of Seth) with the final victory after the Flood... Noah, the sons of Seth. Good/Righteouness have triumphed over evil.

BTW,"If Cain is avenged seven times, then Lamech seventy-seven times.' probably means that Lamech (son of Cain) was much more evil or murderous than Cain; seven or seventy-seven therefore cannot be a sign of perfection in the case of Cain or Lamech. I wonder what the numbers referenced to?

Many Blessings.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

City of Enoch - Genesis 4:17

A diller a dollar, a 5 o'clock scholar was studying the Word of the Lord,
    When all of a sudden he noticed some things that would keep him from ever being bored.

The City of Enoch, he noted, was built by the son of Cain..
    How many people were there to help (?), Is something that was never made plain!

A diller a dollar, the 5 o'clock scholar wondered why not give the city a name of its own..?
    There were plenty of names that weren't already taken: like Paris, or New York, or Rome.
    A name like Enoch would just be confusing, and you'd have to stop and think...
    Is it the man or the City of Enoch that's meant? Is this city to Babel a link?

A diller a dollar, the 5 o'clock scholar noticed something else that was strange..
    That the Enoch who "walked with God" had copied this very same name!
    "Why would he do a thing like that?", he thought, "What was so great about the name Enoch?"
    Did using that name help him walk with God? Or was that city especially scenic?

There is a name that's above all others; and the name of David is used for a city..
    But many folks don't know the Way; they've lost the directions...more's the pity.
    The City of David is the City of Love -- it's the city named Bethlehem..
    But the city we're looking for today is called "New Jerusalem"!

A diller a dollar, the 5 o'clock scholar heard the chimes that came from the tower,
    He'd been so engrossed in his studies, he hadn't realized it was the eleventh hour.
    The way to get to this City, he'd learned, was to start out by walking in love...
    and then to begin eating the Living Bread that was sent down from God above.

The story of Enoch as told in Genesis 5:24 leaves us hanging. We wonder: Where did he go? Not until Jude 14 speaks of "Enoch, the 7th from Adam" are we provided a crumb of a clue which brings awareness of the two Enoch's and two Lamech's and the generation count which eventually leads to David #33 and to Jesus #66.
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post
    City of Enoch - Genesis 4:17

A diller a dollar, a 5 o'clock scholar was studying the Word of the Lord,
    When all of a sudden he noticed some things that would keep him from ever being bored.

The City of Enoch, he noted, was built by the son of Cain..
    How many people were there to help (?), Is something that was never made plain!

A diller a dollar, the 5 o'clock scholar wondered why not give the city a name of its own..?
    There were plenty of names that weren't already taken: like Paris, or New York, or Rome.
    A name like Enoch would just be confusing, and you'd have to stop and think...
    Is it the man or the City of Enoch that's meant? Is this city to Babel a link?

A diller a dollar, the 5 o'clock scholar noticed something else that was strange..
    That the Enoch who "walked with God" had copied this very same name!
    "Why would he do a thing like that?", he thought, "What was so great about the name Enoch?"
    Did using that name help him walk with God? Or was that city especially scenic?

There is a name that's above all others; and the name of David is used for a city..
    But many folks don't know the Way; they've lost the directions...more's the pity.
    The City of David is the City of Love -- it's the city named Bethlehem..
    But the city we're looking for today is called "New Jerusalem"!

A diller a dollar, the 5 o'clock scholar heard the chimes that came from the tower,
    He'd been so engrossed in his studies, he hadn't realized it was the eleventh hour.
    The way to get to this City, he'd learned, was to start out by walking in love...
    and then to begin eating the Living Bread that was sent down from God above.

The story of Enoch as told in Genesis 5:24 leaves us hanging. We wonder: Where did he go? Not until Jude 14 speaks of "Enoch, the 7th from Adam" are we provided a crumb of a clue which brings awareness of the two Enoch's and two Lamech's and the generation count which eventually leads to David #33 and to Jesus #66.
    Cute poem. Did you write it? I Googled the first line and found that there are lots of poems that start "A diller a dollar, a ten o'clock scholar" - why did you choose five? Not short-changing yourself I hope!

In any case, I agree that love is the way, not sorting through every confounding verse of the Bible. But then, we could have learned that anywhere because the teaching of Love, though certainly exalted by Christ, did not originate with him. And indeed, it is directly contradicted by much of the Bible - or at least the way it is interpreted - so much so that many Christians lose the vision of Universal Love because their minds have been corrupted by sectarian exclusionary teachings about most humans gong to hell for failing to "accept Jesus." So now, the "religion of love" has become the the paragon of a religion of hate that damns masses of people to god's eternal hatred!

Read the controversy over Rob Bell's new book called "Love Wins" which suggests their might not be an eternal hell and God might actually save everyone. He is being called a "heretic" of course, and one pastor was fired from a United Methodist church for agreeing with him. So much for the "path of love." The big problem is this: Are we humans, who are taught to love everyone, greater than God who hates many souls with an eternal hatred which he pours out forever as he keeps them alive to suffer eternal conscious torment in his hell?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thanks Richard, I was just having fun.. My poem--don't recall why I used "five", don't recall looking for the orig anywhere. Wrote it somewhere around '87 -- didn't get on the internet till 2000 (Loved my Smith-Corona and didn't want to part with it). Now I like my PC but never took any classes and so make more than my share of mistakes.
    Am familiar with Rob Bell controversy, but haven't read it.. Still listen to J.Vernon McGee and Adrian Rogers sometimes. Blessings!
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post
    Thanks Richard, I was just having fun.. My poem--don't recall why I used "five", don't recall looking for the orig anywhere. Wrote it somewhere around '87 -- didn't get on the internet till 2000 (Loved my Smith-Corona and didn't want to part with it). Now I like my PC but never took any classes and so make more than my share of mistakes.
    Am familiar with Rob Bell controversy, but haven't read it.. Still listen to J.Vernon McGee and Adrian Rogers sometimes. Blessings!
    I never listened much to McGee - his expositions leaned a little to much towards the uneducated. I like more advanced studies. As for Adrian Rogers, he was a great expositor that would appeal to a fundamentalist, but I'm past that now. I was quite "fundamental" in my beliefs for about a decade but finally realized I was wrong. Back in 90s I worked in home remodeling and had a digital radio tuned to the four different Christian radio stations and I would listen all day, switching between every channel to hear the Bible Answer Man on one station, Chuck Missler on another, Adrian Rogers on a third, and so on. My head was pretty much filled from morning to night with all varieties of pop-Christian teachings. I learned a lot while painting houses! It was a very "alive" time for me in the faith. Constant discovery. But now it all looks very immature. The teachers are very skilled at avoiding the "problematic" passages.

All the best!
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Roger the 'avoidance'. This thread prob belongs to 'coincidence'...
    An interesting study is to compare the twice-used copy-cat names
    (used only by two(2) persons named: enoch, lamech, jacob, Lazarus, Adah, Noah, Joann, John, Shelah, etc.) with the multiple names (like Joseph, Mary, James, Philip, Simon) and with the names used only once. Strange, isn't it, why fine names like Ruth or Deborah,or David or Samuel, hadn't been adopted or copied by the New Testament couples. ?

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    Looking at the meaning of Adam, Eve, Abel, Cain and Seth, I am beginning to think that Abel's murder was already known by God to happen and was allowed to happen....why? God accepted Abel's offering but rejected Cain's offering which resulted in the tragic event of the murder of Abel. God could have stopped or prevented the murder of Abel but did not do it. God could have resurrected Abel after his murder but did not do it. Instead God punished Cain to be a wanderer but yet protected him so that anyone who kill Cain will be severely punished....why?....Then God created Seth to replace the murdered Abel, why?..... Was all this God's plan?....

Adam - Man created
    Eve - to breathe and to live

Cain - Possession? acquired ....(? through murder)
    Abel - by a breath/whiff (i.e. live temporary and disappear)
    Seth - appointed (by God? to replace Abel?)

Many Blessings.
    Cain means acquired and Seth means appointed. Seems almost similar.
    Lamech's wind up at the end of their genealogies.

Name:  AEgen.gif
Views: 117
Size:  4.6 KB

Interesting to see the line-up with Cain's Lamech opposite the Enoch who lived to be 365.
    Considering Lamech-1 said he'd killed a 'young' man, maybe it was Enoch-2 he got?
    I'm thinking this mainly 'cause he gave the analogy about Cain, saying himself would get 70x7, and how the killing
    of 'Preacher' Enoch might be cause for the severity.

Thread Information