Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

The Johannine corpus

I thought there was another thread dedicated to this topic, but all I could find was various posts scattered about on another threadů.so I decided to start this thread to consolidate in one place all verses pertaining to this subject.

The verses below contain highlighted words or phrases unique to the Johannine corpus (all Biblical writings attributed to the Apostle John), giving strong evidence for the Gospel of John, the Epistles of John, and the book of Revelation to have been written by the Apostle John. Each work of John gives a 'dimension' to the portrait he has painted of Jesus that is only present in his writings, as if to tie them together with a ribbon of descriptive titles unique to his works.
    -------------------------------------------------
    John
    1:14 'And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt (skenoo) among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (18. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him"

John 1:17 'For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.'

John3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (18. "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

1 John
    4:9 "In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him."

2 John 1:3 'Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.'

Rev. 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell (skenoo) among them.

Rev. 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell (skenoo) with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    John 3:15-17 'That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal
    Life For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.'

John
    3:36 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.'

John 6:40 'And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.'

John 5:24 'Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.'

John
    20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 5:11 'And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.'

1 John 5:13 'These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.'
    ----------------------------------------------------

John 1:1-5
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the lightof men.
    5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

1 John 1:1-5
    1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
    2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us)
    3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
    4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    John
    16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1 John 5:4-5 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne,even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
    John 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well (pege) of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Rev. 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains (pege) of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Rev. 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain (pege) of the water of life freely.

Rev. 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Rev. 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
    John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Revelation 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    John
    3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 4:10-11 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    John
    1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John 1:36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    John
    7:33 Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me.

John 12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.

Revelation 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Revelation 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    --------------------------------------------------------

John
    4:10-14 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well (pege) of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shallflow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

John 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled (Psalm 22:15), saith, I thirst (dipsao).

Rev.7:16-17 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains (pege) of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Rev. 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain (pege) of the water of life freely.

Rev. 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Joh 7:37 εαν τις διψαι ερχεσθω (if any man thirst, let him come)

Rev 22:17 και ο διψων ερχεσθω (and let him that is athirst come)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    John
    10:15 "As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I laydown my life for the sheep. "

John 13:37 "Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will laydown my life for thy sake. "

John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

1 John 3:16 "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."
    Please continue to add to this collection as I'm sure there are many more to be found.....
    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post

I thought there was another thread dedicated to this topic, but all I could find was various posts scattered about on another thread….so I decided to start this thread to consolidate in one place all verses pertaining to this subject.

The verses below contain highlighted words or phrases unique to the Johannine corpus (all Biblical writings attributed to the Apostle John), giving strong evidence for the Gospel of John, the Epistles of John, and the book of Revelation to have been written by the Apostle John. Each work of John gives a “dimension” to the portrait he has painted of Jesus that is only present in his writings, as if to tie them together with a ribbon of descriptive titles unique to his works.
    John
    1:14 “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt (skenoo) among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (18. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him"

John 1:17 “For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”

John3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (18. "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

1 John
    4:9 "In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him."

2 John 1:3 “Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.”

Rev. 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell (skenoo) among them.

Rev. 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell (skenoo) with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
    John 3:15-17 “That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal
    Life For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”

John
    3:36 “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

John 6:40 “And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.”

John 5:24 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

John
    20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 5:11 “And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.”

1 John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”
    ----------------------------------------------------

John 1:1-5
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the lightof men.
    5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

1 John 1:1-5
    1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
    2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us)
    3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
    4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    John
    16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1 John 5:4-5 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne,even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
    John 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well (pege) of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Rev. 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains (pege) of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Rev. 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain (pege) of the water of life freely.

Rev. 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Revelation 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    John
    3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 4:10-11 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    John
    1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John 1:36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    John
    7:33 Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me.

John 12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.

Revelation 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Revelation 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    --------------------------------------------------------

John
    4:10-14 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well (pege) of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shallflow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

John 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled (Psalm 22:15), saith, I thirst (dipsao).

Rev.7:16-17 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains (pege) of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Rev. 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain (pege) of the water of life freely.

Joh 7:37 εαν τις διψαι ερχεσθω (if any man thirst, let him come)

Rev 22:17 και ο διψων ερχεσθω (and let him that is athirst come)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    John
    10:15 "As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I laydown my life for the sheep. "

John 13:37 "Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will laydown my life for thy sake. "

John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

1 John 3:16 "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."
    Please continue to add to this collection as I'm sure there are many more to be found.....
    Rose
    Here is another unique phrase used only in the Johannine Corpus. It is based on the word "vine" being used in the context of Christ being the True Vine and all those who don't abide in the True Vine are cast away. This is the same context which Revelation 14 uses "vine"....referring to reaping the "vine of the earth". These are the only two books of the Bible that use "vine" in this manner.
    John 15:1-6 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
    Rev.14:18-19 And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe. And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 05-01-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Bare Witness

Once again it can be shown that all the works attributed to the Apostle John, share phrases that are unique to his books.

The Greek words for baring witness are martureo, and marturia....the Gospel of John and his Epistles use this word approx. 58 times, compared to 3 times in Mark, 3 times in Luke, and 1 time in Matt. (Rev. uses the words 11 times), but aside from the abundant usage in John, it is also used in a particular way unique to his writings.

In all three verses below, the Apostle John is self identifying himself as the person who bore witness to the Son of God, using phraseology unique to the Johannine corpus.
    John 21:24 This is the disciple which testifieth (martureo) of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony (marturia) is true.

3 John 1:12 Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record (martureo); and ye know that our record (marturia) is true.

Rev.1:1-2 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: Who bare record (martureo) of the word of God, and of the testimony (marturia) of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
    I see this as another strong witness to the validity of John being the author of the book of Revelation.

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 03-01-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Thread Information